Connecting a PC running RSview32 to a SLC500 PLC

S

Stu

The company I work for currently use SLC5/0X PLCs in our control panels. We would like to be able to start supplying panels with a master terminal PC running RSview32 as the HMI interface and also run RSlogix500 to be able to modify the ladders from the PC. Can someone tell me what the best method is for connecting the PC to the PLC ( distance could be up to 300ft)

Thanks in advance.

The cheapest & easiest is to use serial rs232. The PC & the SLc have serial ports as standard. The distance may be a problem but it should be ok. Use a screened cable & keep it away from any frequency drives or other high frequency lines.

You will be able to use RSLINX lite which you would have received with rslogix 500.

P

Pradeep D Pranjale

Stu,
For SLC5/02 & + type PLC, DH+ port is readily available. PC (with RSLinx) can communicate with the help of KTX card for DH+ communication.
Both RSView & RSLogix500 will work on this.

Stu,
For distances this long you could consider using a SLC 505 and ethernet communications. RS-232 is only recomended for distances under 50 feet.

In my opinion 300ft is too far to work serial. Serial is the cheapest way, but you'll have to convert it to Current loop or 485 and then reconvert it to serial. Inpropper comm. true serial comm. may cause you lots of problems. what if you start a motor and wont be able to stop it ?

Jo

M

Michel Levesque, eng.

The cheapest is RS-232 where the distance is limited by a cable capacitance of 2500 Picofarad and not on lenth of cable...for this you also need a 5/03 (for the RS-232 port).
Since you would be splurging for a 5/03 anyway, setup the DH-485 network on the 5/03 which will allow you multiple-drop network up to 3000 feet (not direct connections like RS-232), on-line programming, floating point numbers and a faster processor.
If you really want data access to all SLCs for RSView you must avoid RS-232 (direct connect only) and go to DH-485 (3000ft), DH+(10,000ft) or Ethernet (100m per segment).

B

Brian E Boothe

Goto Ethernet 10base/T for one, Get yourself RS-Linx Gateway and RS-Ladder Software, for modifyng your ladders thru RS-View and Get the RS-Inview Software in which to have Mutiple Clients all looking at the Same RS-View Project.

There is another way but it deals with OPC/DDE Topics which will take a lot of explaining from me. But i have to get to work. Maybe I'll explain in another Thread.