Standards in HMI

A

Ariel Burbaickij

Hello forum participants,
I want to ask following questions:

1) Do some standards for industrial HMI exist?
2) Do some books about development of industrial
HMI development and best practices of the field exist?
3) Do some overviews of commercialy available
solutions for rapid HMI development exist?

Surely it would be great not only to have answers
of form "yes" or "no" but also to have pointers
to the corresponding documents

Happy New Year!

Yours sincerely
Ariel Burbaickij

D

Daniel Parker, Curry Controls

The governing body for this stuff is the ISA (Instrumentation, Systems, & Automation Society) that has published standards for control room interfaces and graphic displays. Go to http://isa.org and check out the standards library abstracts for the topics you are interested in. From there, the standards can be ordered individually or as a complete set. No systems integrator or process equipment manufacturer should be without them!!

P
Many people jump out of the box and design HMI software. However, you must know PLC programming very well before attempting HMI design.

Remember the design is the key. If you have a strong architecture layout then everything should be ok.

Iv'e seen some systems were the rookie of the year tried to write a program and overloaded the communication platform to a snails pace.

Although, some books do exist my feeling is hire a professional or go to the week long training class offered from the manufacturer. Study both HMI and PLC carefully and ask a professional to check out your design before proceeding.

I've never heard of any standards existing for HMI development, but i beleive it would be industry related not HMI.

Sincerely,

Paul Dalia

D
There is obviously Ergonomic/Human Factor concerns in HMI imlementation. The following standards address some of the issues:

SEMI S8-95; ANSI/HFS 100-1988; EN 894-1; MIL-STD-1472F

Standards for development of HMI systems can be found at:
http://www.controlsys.org

This is the web site for the "Control Systems Integrators Association" or CSIA.

They offer 2 publications "Selecting a Control Systems Integrator" and "Working with a Control Systems Integrator". Pricing of documents appears high when you first hear about it, but the potential return can more than pay for itself.