sizing orifice plates

L

leon

i need to know how to convert volumetric flowrate into mass flowrate using natural gas flowing through a 2in Sch 40 pipeline @ a flowing temperature of 38 degrees C, email me plz!@!!!

V

Verhappen, Ian

Your best bet is to look at the GPSA Engineering Data book (http://gpsa.gasprocessors.com/) which should be on the desk of your closest process engineer. Perry's handbook, another book they should have nearby will also be able to help. If you know the specific gravity of the gas you can multiply it by 28.964 (density of air) to get a first estimate then use the ideal gas law to correct for Pressure and Temperature. This should get you a close number to start your calculations.

Since vapour density is a function of PRESSURE and temperature, especially pressure it will be necessary to provide both conditions to allow this
calculation to be performed.

Ian Verhappen
Syncrude Canada Ltd.
PO Bag 4009, MD 0032
Fort McMurray, Alberta T9H 3L1
P 780 790-4079, Cell 799-6017, F 780 790-5190
Aurora: P 780 715-9500, F 715-9700 or 715-9533
[email protected]

C

Clifford Bosch

It depends on what device you are using to measure the flow with. Is it a D/P device with square root or a linear device such as a vortex flowmeter ?
This will determine whether you can multiply the flowrate directly by the density ( vortex), or whether square root of the density correction needs to be used. For more info, email me at [email protected]