Inexpensive inline paddle/magnetic flow sensor

J

Jason Hirsch

Hello All-

I've been searching for some time for a sensor that can be coupled to a standard tach sensor from a fan for a computer. In itself all the sensor would need to be is simply

1) inline
2) magnetic bead present
3) preferably Poly (battery effect)
4) cheap! (<$20)

As this is designed to go inside of a computer to monitor the coolant flowrate onto a SMB header (in case of loss of flow, system fires off email and shuts down).

I've searched a number of vendor catalogues here at work and come up with some very impressive $600 systems.... and a few $200 systems... but nothing that fits the bill of cheap (<$20).

Suggestions welcome- I'll just go back to drilling holes in the paddles I've got already and ripping tach sensors off of cheap fans :) (yes, I buy alot of epoxy...)

W
Well, you are down into the area of what a manufacturer's cost is on a paddlewheel flow sensor. I suspect that if you want one that cheap, you will have to make it yourself. Of course, you won't be able to count your time, or overhead.

And it isn't clear how you propose to establish k-factors...how do you propose to test them?

Best,

Walt Boyes

---------SPITZER AND BOYES, LLC-------------
"Consulting from the engineer
to the distribution channel"
www.spitzerandboyes.com
[email protected]
21118 SE 278th Place
Maple Valley, WA 98038
253-709-5046 cell 425-432-8262 home office
fax:1-253-981-0285
--------------------------------------------

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi Jason

You're on the wrong list for inexpensive :^) Perhaps you might look at what the automakers use for flow sensors or for distance sensors to use with your paddlewheel.They would have the volume
to hit that price point.

Regards

cww

Hello

I am in the same boat. I have come across a $45 paddle wheel flow meter made by http://www.airmar.com. This price includes the housing, which you do not need and will be able to buy the sensor and paddle from them for less as they do sell them separately. Airmar manufacture paddle type speed sensors for the boating industry. If you find something less expensive, please email me and I will do the same.

Marian (marian(AT)temperaturecorporation.com)