Allen Bradley RS500 - USB

D

Dave

Has anyone had any success talking to the PLC's via a USB port with USB/serial converter. If so which kind did you use. This is also on a windows XP system with the latest version of Rockwell Software.

T
Allen Bradley has a tech note on their web site ->My Support -> knowledge base about USB-serial converters. I have had no problems using one of the recommended converters. You must still use a cable that crosses pins 2,3 between the converter and PLC, the converter mimics the RS232 port on the back of a computer, so you cannot plug the end of the converter cable direcly into your PLC. The USB-serial converter will not work with the PIC module in communicating with SLC5/01 and 5/02s. The PIC module draws power off the RS-232 port on the computer, power that the USB converter does not provide.

yes i have recently,
it's a USB-232 convertor (no other name)
after installing software on xp and re-assigning in hardwareconfig -> usb to serial to COM1 (com ports)
i made connection through RSlinx (autosearch & autoconfig)
works great since then
when i make a new project i sometimes have to reboot (don't know why)

hope to 've helped

bruno

The Keyspan USA 19QW will work with the DF1 port on the SLC 500 on my Compaq Presario 1200. Each different brand of computer might or might not work. You cannot use the 1747-PIC module with the adapter and as far as I know,the PIC only works with a REAL built-in RS232 port on the computer.Some Dell laptops still have this feature. If you are trying to use a laptop to communicate with the SLC500 most programmers recommend using the PCMCIA card from AB. Expensive but worth it.

Sid

Best of luck. Many of us are having trouble with USB/serial conveters period. In Australia I have had good success with a Wiretek brand converter and Omron CS1 and CJ1 PLCs and Cx-Programmer software. Cannot answer for AB or if the Wiretek device is available in USA.
You could try www.bb-elec.com (Canada I think). They appear to have a PCMCIA solution that is compatible with XP etc etc and has all comm lines wired straight through. Contact Peter Fitzpatrick.

I have successfully used the Targus USB Mobile Port Replicator, Model # PA070 (V1.0). Tried this due to a failed serial port on the PC and it worked great. Works with or without the external power supply (it will draw power from the PC's USB port).

Mike

P

Peter Thestrup

As far as I know, XP doesn't support USB/RS232 converters, and I haven't been able to find a compatible driver anywhere; however, I'm using such a converter with win9x & 2000 platforms with OMRON CS1 & CJ1, and haven't had any mentionable problems with that config.

Generally, USB/RS232 should be avoided if possible!

If someone find a driver for XP, please post it on the boards.