SLC 5\04 RS232 communication

M

Maina

Hi, I am new to the slc series of Allen Bradley SLCs. I have tried to communicate to a new SLC5/04 using the RS232c port on it using its CP7 programming cable. The communication software is RSlinx Ver 2.1.

After running the Autoconfigure in the Rslinx new channell addition wizard window, I get an error message telling me to check the cables and switch settings. On observing the proccessor physically, there are no switches to be set.

Is there any other hardware or software to enable me to set it for communication ?.
The proccessor is an SLC 5/04-543-64K ,clean out of the box state. I have mounted it a 13 slot rack powered by a P4 Power supply.
My slot usage is 8 slots DI (1-8) 3 slots DO(9-11) and finaly Slot 13 is an 8 channel analogue input card.

There could be several things with this communication problem. You may have the wrong Baud rate set for your driver vs. the default baud rate for the processor, but you said you attempted to autoconfig. in Linx, so that should have selected the proper baud rate for you. I am not familiar with the CP7 cable, just insure that it is a null modem style (pin wires 2&3 crossed) with DB9 plugs. The cable might be bad or lastly, the backplane on the rack could be bad and will prevent proper communications. Another method to communicate would be to use a PCMK card in your laptop with a PCM5 cable w/adapter to channel 0 on your processor, although the cost of these cards is quite high.

I hope you mean a CP3 cable.

Are you setup with the DF1 driver on the correct
comm port?

Make sure you do not have a PIC driver also running on that same comm port.

You could always try a new version of RSLinx. (I'm running 2.40.01)

-mjv

On the rare occasion I have seen SLC processors in an "out-of-the-box" state behave identical to your description. Try clearing the memory.
Shut down power. Remove the CPU from the chassis.
Disconnect the battery and look for the solder pads labeled Vbb and GND on the back of the board. They are located about two-thirds up the board, about one inch from the rear. Short those two pads together for a minute. If the processor is not already at factory default, this will reset it.

Do you have a copy of the code that is in the processor? If you do check the channel configuration file for Channel 0. That is the port you are attempting to access. Jot those values down and manually configure your RSLinx.

Another problem is your driver in RSLinx. Make sure it is set for RS-232 devices AND the device selected is SLC CH0/Micro/PanelView. If you have something else for this option the auto config never works.

If you do a reset as indicated above, the Baud rate setting will default to: 1200-8-n-1. Put them in your settings if the Auto-configure doesn't work. As others have said a null modem type comm cable setup is needed. One more thing,if you are using some type of USB to Serial port converter on your computer only certain brands will work. A true RS232c comm port is a better solution.

A

Alan Hartwell

The only reference I can find on the AB web site regarding CP7 concerns Data Highway +, which is not RS232C. If you are plugging into the round DIN connector on the SLC5/04, that's the wrong port for RS232.