Major error S:6 = 3Dh on AB 5/03 plc

E

EJK

The plc in question is mounted on an overhead conveyor system, and is connected to the main plc network (DH485) through a radio modem (DF1). When I download the program, I can start the plc without any problem. However if the system is powered down, (e/s for instance), and then restarted the plc goes into a faulted state, and a major error is reported: S:6 = 3Dh. The message is user defined code, whatever that means. The only way out of this is down loading the original program. This means that, if possible, someone will have to climb up to the plc with a programmer on his back, not very practical.

Another problem is that the same thing happens even when I save the program in an EEPROM, and try to load the memory module program and run the plc: S1/12=1.

Can anyone help me please?

S

ScienceOfficer

EJK---

Major Error Register S:6 can only be set to that value by direct insertion, say by an HMI, or by ladder logic. The SLC 5/03 cannot generate a User Defined Code by itself.

Search your ladder logic for a rung that writes to S:6. If you have HMIs attached, search them for the same thing.

Someone has programmed this behavior into your system.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida

According to the RSLogix500 Error Description (available under Processor Status - on the Errors tab) the code 3Dh at S:6 means...

"Jumper J4 on the mother board is in the "Program" position and an OS upgrade cartridge is not present. Place jumper J4 in the "Protect" position and re-download ladder program to correct this problem."

You can find a picture of this jumper's location at:
http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/1747-um011d-en-p.pdf
on the book's page number 5-7 (or Adobe Reader page 85 of 284)...

Hope this helps.

PS - Regarding your statement: “The message is user defined code, whatever that means.” This looks a little bit suspicious. What was your source for this particular information?

D
Error 3D hex will occur if the SLC is put into RUN mode and the JW4 jumper has been in the Program position. Please put the JW4 jumper in the Protect position and then download your program again. This should sort out this issue.

> From the Help file for major error codes.

xx3D Jumper J4 on the motherboard is in the "Program" position and an OS upgrade cartridge is not present. Place jumper J4 in the "Protect" position to correct this problem.

RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001

( Complete thread: http://www.control.com/1026177209/index_html )

S

ScienceOfficer

To all:

After noting the useful posts by Dave, Ron, and Anonymous, I upgraded RSLogix500 and now retract my opinion in my previous post to this thread. They are correct and I was wrong. Error 003Dh was previously in the User Defined Error field, but currently functions exactly as they described.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver Rexel / Central Florida