Today is...
Monday, September 16, 2019
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
Wiring and programming your servos and I/O just got a lot easier...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
MODBUS to HART converter
Is there a device which acts as a HART slave and Modbus Master?
By Dan Platt on 18 May, 2004 - 7:05 pm

Is there a device which acts as a HART slave and Modbus Master? This would enable me to connect an off the shelf modbus RTU slave device to an existing HART installation.

Dan,

This may be the exact product you're looking for...

http://www.prolinxgateways.com/products/4107.html

- CH

By Anonymous on 19 May, 2004 - 11:26 pm

check out ProLinx website, http://www.prolinxgateways.com
on their HART to Modbus converter...

By Robert Dusza on 20 May, 2004 - 12:03 am

Dan,

Try the Director Series products from Arcom (http://www.arcom.com). We use the DS1 for a HART to MODBUS converter with very good results. I know they can use the DS1 in MODBUS RTU Master mode and convert it back to HART. We were looking at doing this for a project on the Wastewater side, but funding fell through. Great people to work with and very knowledgeable.

Contact me off line for more help.

Bob

Robert J. Dusza, Jr.
Project & Technical Support Manager
(V) 1-860-647-3219
(F) 1-860-647-3150
E-mail - Rdusza@ci.manchester.ct.us
Manchester Water & Sewer Dept.
125 Spring St. P.O. Box 191
Manchester, CT 06045-0191

By Dick Fletcher on 20 May, 2004 - 3:59 pm

Arcom makes some devices that convert from Modbus to Hart protocol. You might check with them for specifics...

By John Hamilton on 26 February, 2019 - 3:29 pm

I realize this is a little late, but I have the same situation. I came across a device from Microcyber G0310 which I believe will do the job.

>Is there a device which acts as a HART slave and Modbus
>Master? This would enable me to connect an off the shelf
>modbus RTU slave device to an existing HART installation.

This is not too difficult but whether there is a market, I doubt.

The HART interface is implemented with an old modem chip, and then you need a microcontroller to do the Modbus Master bit, with an RS485 interface (assuming you are after RS485 and not Ethernet :) )

We make products (e.g. the KD485-PROG) which will do the protocol conversion part but we never implemented a planned HART interface, due to a total lack of interest.

The prolinxgateways site is gone, the link 404's.

Arcom is so involved in IIoT that it would be a major project to find a HART-Modbus converter box.

The Microcyber G0310 is a Modbus Master that populates HART variables so the HART side is a HART slave.

Interesting concept if one has a HART host system, but such isn't that common. People I run into have HART slave devices that they want to read data from with a Modbus master (HMI, SCADA, PLC, DCS) and there's several vendors who have boxes that are a HART master and Modbus Slave. So I can see the lack of a market for HART slave/Modbus master.

By John Hamilton on 19 March, 2019 - 4:44 pm

I have a situation where we make a Natural Gas Analyzer which has Modbus (RS232, RS485, TCPIP), our own TCPIP GUI, 4-20mA and relays to get the data to the customer, On top of all that, one of the check boxes to get past the Buyer is "HART". I seriously doubt they really want HART, but somehow it got on the check list. I can design this in a heartbeat, but to get HART certified they want some big bucks. So it is easier if we can find someone who can provide this option. I have no idea how many we will need.