Concept Crashes

J

Jas

We are running Concept version 2.2 on NT4 sp6 platform.

Each time we launch IE which runs some of our web applications Concept crashes, Generates a GP error in module BC500RTL.dll. Is this a known issue? Is there a work around? We would like to see these two applications working together.

Thanks...

This is not a probem with concept 2.6sr2 and windows xp. Upgrade and be inovative. Latest version of concept are stable compared with earlier versions.

A FAQ listed one of the reasons this error occurs is if the screen resolution is set to 1400 x 1050. Go to the Control Panel <Display> and settings tab and change the screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768.

M

Michael Overeem

The actual message I get is "Concept caused a General Protection Fault in module BC500RTL.DLL @0001:1462. Choose Close. Concept will close." And it does! This always happens when I click on a FB and select the Advance button. Otherwise, prior to that, everything appears to be working. When I select Advance, the DLL crashes immediately.

This is very frustrating, too, because I have tried upgraded from 2.5XL - all versions through SR2f, up through 2.6SR1c - I don't have 2.6 SR2 yet. I understand that Concept 2.5 is not written specifically for XP, but it has worked for many others - including me - until recently. I don't know what happened, but I do suspect either a security update, or other OS or application installation might have caused the problem. Unfortunately, I have removed all of the new (i.e., pre-trouble applications); and verified all of the security updates are required.

Anyway, I understand that Concept 2.6SR1c is supposed to run OK with Windows XP; and this seems to be true of others with the same computer. However, it did not correct the DLL problem. In fact, all versions of Concept seem to fail the same way now!

The question I would like to ask is: is there anyway to ensure I can get a clean re-install of Concept; or is there some specific registry entry I can change to keep Concept from crashing; or is there an update to the BC500RTL.DLL that I need to be using? Short of wiping out my XP installation and starting over from scratch, I have tried nearly everything.

Can anyone even explain to me what it is about the BC500RTL.DLL that makes Concept so susceptible to crashing it? I always thought GPF's were for earlier Windows versions; and caused mainly by divide by zero-type errors.

In my case, I was connected "Equal" to a PLC at the time (using IEC programming); and this GPF in BC500RTL.DLL caused Concept to crash and re-connect as "Not Equal" immediately afterwards.

Some of the things I tried were to change video resolution settings, but after having tried about sixteen or so variations: video resolution, changing video acceleration troubleshooting settings, trying various Windows OS compatibility settings; etc. - all this has failed. I have even reinstalled every version of Concept to try to get one that will work again, but I still crash for the same reason.

I am wondering, too, if the 0001:1462 in the GPF message is significant? I have been trying to use Windows Dr. Watson, but I haven't had any meaningful rsults here. (I will keep trying.)

Thanks for any help - or suggestions!

M

Michael Overeem

Thanks for the suggestion about re-installing XP. I work for a government agency; and doing this is not a trivial exercise for me.

I was hoping someone would offer a more elegant solution - such as changing an undocumented setting, etc. - that would help resolve this issue. I haven't found one myself, though.

Anyway, to update what I have tried, just in case something triggers a thought, I re-installed successive versions of Concept - from pre-version 2.5SR2f through 2.6 SR1. I am, however, not able to go above 2.6SR1 as I have lost access to the patches for 2.6 when our agency's re-organization caused things to be misplaced. (Hopefully we'll be able to resolve this soon.)

I did find out that I can duplicate the failure evertime simply using the "Testprj" that comes with Concept. This suggests to me that it is indeed my computer that is broken, but why? I also verified that even creating a simple new project by inserting a single FB will lead to an immediate GPF in module bc500rtl.dll as soon as I hit that FB's "Advanced..." button. (I emphasize "immediate" as I perceive no time delay.)

I upgraded my video driver; and tried all of its various settings. I tried multiple "safe mode" fixes recommended by Microsoft - for troubleshooting XP. I also tried all of the various setting permutations for both program compatibility and graphics card acceleration.

Thus, if no one else can offer a more benign suggestion than to re-install XP, I will do that. I just find it difficult to comprehend that all of my other programs seem to work fine - except Concept; and that this started happening all of a sudden. There have to be clues that I am not seeing.

Best regards,
Michael O.
[email protected]

M

Michael Overeem

I just tried an Windows XP re-install via the original XP disk. This did not correct the problem. Any other suggestions?

To reiterate what is happening:

When I open any Concept project, click on any FB, and then click on the "Advanced..." button, I get an immediate error. The error advises me of two options - Close or Ignore. Selecting either option results in the display of another box labelled "Application Error." The message in this last box is: Concept caused a General Protection Fault in module BC500RTL.DLL at 0001:1462. Choose close. Concept will close."

When I choose Close, Concept closes; and any editing up to that point that was not previously saved is lost. The problem occurs whether I use the test project, Testprj, or if I am on-line. If I am on-line, I end up being "not equal" to the project running in my PLC. I do seem to be able to download a project - to again connect "equal" - but this might take several tries.

I have tried as many of the various methods that Microsoft support has suggested - and I could find mentioned. I have updated all of my drivers, uninstalled all of my unneeded programs, etc. I have also tried to adjust all of the different combinations for graphics acceleration; and software compatibility modes.

Next, I have scanned my computer memory in the area of 0001:1462 for possible defects; and none are being detected by my checking software. Just in case there is some error that I cannot detect in memory, I am investigating how I can selectively exclude portions of memory for testing purpose under Windows XP. (My laptop is not amenable to swapping chips easily - if I had spare chips to swap!)

Lastly, I still don't have access to any updates beyond Version 2.6 SR1 to try, but all previous versions through the above result in the same application error.

Best regards,
Michael Overeem

M

Michael Overeem

I performed a reinstall of Windows XP Pro, but this did not work to correct the problem with Concept. I have tried many different things now, including rolling back practically all of my Concept versions and updating all of my drivers. Is there anything in particular that you might recommend to help me further isolate this problem?

In the meantime, I am actively pursuing getting the latest software updates for Concept through my corporate IT support.

Best regards,
Michael Overeem

B

Bob Peterson

Have you considered calling the tech support line? Sadly, they now require you to pay for anything other than trivial answers, but it's possible your agency already has a support agreement. If not, I think the per case charge is like $165. You probably already spent far more than that in your own time, so maybe it's time to call in the pros.

Hi...

Don't bother much about this problem i think now you got the answer ...i face the same problem and did try and error on everything possible finally after losting few days i got the solution in concept additional software itself.

What you have to do is just use your concept converter software export your program then again import it from same software and see the magic...

This will surely work...

M

Michael Overeem

June, 2005 update: I did contact the pros. The solution: Re-install Windows; and then upgrade Concept. This ultimately worked. We will also renew our expired service contract soon, too!

Most of the problems we have had have been with 100% IEC-based programs and Concept. This is also not the first time this particular problem happened. It occurred before in early 2003, but on an NT box. Patching Concept back then corrected that problem without any OS-reinstall machinations.

One thing we have noticed over the years is that LL984 programs are generally bullet-proof. Unfortunately, we cannot always use LL984 for simple technical solutions.*

Thanks again for all of the advice! For the record, similar laptops configured identically to mine seemed to work OK. Also, the program that was crashingran fine on an NT-box, running the same version of Concept as was installed on my XP-Pro box, but it had no problems. in the end, the majority of my time was done off-the-clock. It became a matter of trust - I could not trust my machine!* And, to save money, our three-year old PCs are expected to last for at least four additional years....

Thanks again! Case closed.

Best Regards,

Michael Overeem

*Why? Our facility is one terminal of an 846-mile long HVDC transmission system with our terminal rated 3100MW @ +/-500 kVDC. PLC programs are not always simple; and computer workstations cannot just stop working without some effort taken to understand why.