OPC Communication failure

A

Anonymous

I had been running my OPC client for the last one year 24x7 and reading about 150 tags and writing about 40 tags every 5 seconds with GE Fanuc's iFix 3.5 remote OPC Server (ProgId: Intellution.OPCiFix) in one of my client places. Our client reported 2 days back that the communication between my client and the OPC Server has occured and that my OPC client has not been able to connect to the server even after multiple restarts of both server and the client machines. We tested by trying to connect FactorySoft OPC Client and both my client and the Factory soft OPC Client gave the message "IDataObject not supported by this server. No data notifications will take place". My OPC Client is running in Windows XP and GE Fanuc's iFix3.5 OPC Server (Intellution.OPCiFix) running in a different machine (Windows 2003 as the OS) in the LAN.
Both the machines are in the same domain and both are logged in with the domain administrator's user name and password. Both the machines have been checked for network accessibility and they are pinging and file exchange (read/write) were happening. DCOM Settings in the server seems to be OK. Why should such an error message occur and what is the meaning of this error?

Hello,

Since you say this has all been running for a while it is hard to guess.

IDataObject was required for OPC DA version 1, optional for version 2 and N/A for version 3.

Did someone update to a newer version of the server? Or did the registry get hosed? Did anyone try to un-register the server and register it? Have you tried to connect to the server with a client that supports all versions? Did the DCOM settings changes? Can the client and server communicate when both are located on the same computer?

Ciao,

Mark
http://www.peakhmi.com/

A

adrielmichaud

1. OS service pack updates? Windows 2003 SP1 defaults DEP to "on", and that can muck with registry access. XP SP2 can mess with DCOM settings.

2. Put an OPC Client directly on the iFix box and attempt to connect locally to the OPC Server. This will remove some of the variables from the connection, making troubleshooting easier. If you don't have an OPC Client, you can download MatrikonOPC Explorer for free:
http://matrikonopc.com/products/opc-desktop-tools/opc-explorer.aspx

T
Try re-registering ole32.dll and oleaut32.dll on both the client and server machines:

regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll
regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll

I was just visited this thread looking for anything that would help us with the "iDataObject not supported by this server" error we were getting trying to set up our OPC simulator environment. We tried reregistering the dlls you recommended on the virtual slices we were using and it worked for us.

Thanks for your help. Cheers!