factorylink webclient on win xp sp2

D

DF

Hi, running FL 6.60 on win nt.
Using webclient on several computers to link to the FL application.

Problem: Webclient installed on win xp sp "1" works fine. Webclient installed on win xp sp "2"
starts, screens show, and then shuts down with no error messages as to why it shuts down.
Checked to see if firewall was on, it is disabled.

Any thoughts?
Thank you in advance.

G

Gustavo A. Valero P.

Hi,

Your problem is caused by Service Pack 2 for XP which locks default COM/DCOM communication settings required for OPC and other programs based on COM/DCOM.

You must contact UGS/Tecnomatix division (now part of Siemens E&A) to solve this problem in FL 6.6 due to there is a solution for this but applies to FL 7.x only.

The solution in FL 7.x included a "DCOM Wizard" able to reset COM/DCOM permissions to run with the tighter security provided by XP SP2, open some needed TCP ports, open XP firewall and includes a new "FLKernel" due to one of the DLLs provided with XP SP2 is loaded in the same memory space as the FLKernel did.

But, in FL 6.6 I don't know very well these technical details!.

Best regards.

Saludos.

Gustavo A. Valero P.
BIConsulting C.A.
Valencia - Venezuela
gustavo.valero @ biconsulting. com

Thank you Gustavo.

I do suspect it is a sp2 issue. But dcom wizard I understood addressed issues regarding the com/dcom setting to enable OPC connection. The FL 6.6 uses a different connection. I will have to try to contact USG I guess to find a solution. Anyone else who might have a guess is welcome to comment.

Thanks again.
DF