Has Wonderware Intouch had its day?

M

Matt Anderson

We are system integrators and have been using Wonderware’s Intouch for many years. In the early days (we started at version 4) it blew the DOS based completion out of the water with its ease of use and simple connectivity to a myriad of PLC systems. As a system it progressed along with Windows and became more powerful whilst retaining its flexibility and simplicity.

In my opinion, for use as a mid sized HMI (500 - 200 Tags), Intouch peaked at around version 7.11. Since then new version releases have only really added extra complexity without any benefit to users like us.

The Integrated Development Environment (IDE), that came with the Arcestra merger from Invensis, may be useful to large plants with an infrastructure of Wonderware based systems but to independent integrators it is a clumsy nuisance.

We recently used the Intouch Compact Edition on some Advantech CE panels. This turned out to be a disappointment due to the limitations of the compact edition and the need to use the IDE to create initial templates. I appreciate that any 'Compact' edition will be a cut down of the full product but Wonderware seem to have chopped out some very basic functions (Eg: bit access to word tags, animation of lines that are part of shapes - Circle outline, rectangle, polyline etc).

Anyway, after all these years I think it may be time to look for a fresh SCADA/HMI offering - something built on a modern platform without any legacy baggage.

Can anyone out there recommend a system to fit our needs?
<b><i>Enhanced, resolution independent graphics</i>

<i>Logging to an open database</i>

<i>Suitable for use in small to medium projects</i>

<i>Good connectivity to multiple PLCs</i>

<i>Platform independent from CE to Win 7</i>

<i>Web browser support</i>

<i>Multiple language support</i>

<i>Built in reporting</i></b>

A
There is only one answer:

ICONICS GENESIS64
Most cutting edge scalable HMI/SCADA suite with web enabled 64-bit technology. From Windows Phone 7 to data centers. Cross browser, cross platform clients, OPC UA to the core; Easy to deploy; Rich WPF & Silverlight graphics; Integrated redundancy for mission critical applications... etc, etc.

Years ahead of all competition.

Check out: www.iconics.com

Matt:

We have experienced some of the same issues that you have with the Wonderware products, although we have not been using them as long. We are frustrated as well and have found a product which we feel meets our needs (Small to Medium I/O counts, ethernet based PLC comms, platform independence and open database connectivity).

Check out the Ignition software from Inductive Automation. http://www.inductiveautomation.com/

Based on the list you provided, it does all that you listed (I don't believe that WinCE supports Java, but I'm not totally sure). And the pricing structure is much better than the big guys.

Chris Gele, CAP
Brown Engineers, LLC
www.brownengineers.net

P

Paul Edwards

InTouch CE does not need the IDE for development. V10.1 uses standard WindowMaker with no IDE.

I agree there will be lots of features in any SCADA package and that you will not use most of them. The problem is that the market has driven it that way. Users want functionality that is embedded into the software but not everybody will use it.

InTouch is still a great SCADA package with a huge user community. As with all software there will be a cheaper version available but you have to ask yourself 'what is the support like?', 'will it still be around in 10 years time?', 'what is the upgrade path?' and 'how easy is it to develop?'. Also you have to consider the training and learning curve for a different product.

InTouch ticks all these boxes, I am not sure there are many others that do.

C
Paul:

> InTouch is still a great SCADA package with a huge user community. As with all
> software there will be a cheaper version available but you have to ask yourself
> 'what is the support like?', 'will it still be around in 10 years time?',
> 'what is the upgrade path?' and 'how easy is it to develop?'. Also you have
> to consider the training and learning curve for a different product.

I agree with you statements, however when you can't get support from the vendor/distributor it's time to start looking for someone who can provide support.

Chris

K

Kevin Frechette

I'd say any Windows based PC HMI is ultimately doomed because of the short life cycle and multiple variations of the single user and server versions.

Today, I downloaded the OS compatibility matrix from WW for a colleague. What a mess. I don't know how these manufacturers can produce updates, service packs and upgrades for operating systems that have never been stable or standardized.

WW has been and still is a great product.

> Check out a live web demo or a trial version of Ignition from Inductive
> Automation. It can meet all of the requirements that you mentioned.

Second vote for Ignition. Very cost effective solution, only software you need to run AND develop is Java. Integrates with SQL seamlessly, has historical and reporting options. They also seem to be very interested in constantly improving their product.

C

Christopher LaFavers

I've found ClearSCADA to be a great product. Licensing has a great price structure for my smaller systems, and is extremely flexible in it's implementation. I've replaced several of my Wonderware installations with ClearSCADA. It works well in both plant based operations and large scale systems.

H

Hender Molina

For those who has been using InTouch for years... don't worry, latest versions keep working exactly the same, they call it Stand-alone applications, without using IDE, nor ArchestrA. Just keep using InTouch as always, even for small, mid-size and huge projects.

But, there is also a new way to use InTouch, with ArchestrA Graphics that you can create in the IDE. Also integrating InTouch in the Wonderware System Platform and creating object based SCADA/HMI applications also using the IDE. It is more complex, yes, but a lot more useful and saving engineering time for integrators.

Of course, you will need support and training to take advantage of all those new features. Both technical support department and training departments in Wonderware are terrific. If your local distributor is not working good, use the Wonderware website, there are tons of tools and information there, contact them directly and see the difference.

J
Take a look on MOVICON.

Very modern, built with recent languages (html, ...)
Object oriented, powerful graphics, good connectivity with Data Bases, OPC servers, other Windows applications.

You can use the full downloadable product with all the features in demo mode for development, and test it in runtime during two hours (every shot).

Very cost effective, only the active variables count for license.

visit this site: www.progea.com

I guess your not using or understanding all the features Intouch has! Believe me you can do tremendous projects, but then they become tremendous problems if someone else tries to fix them.