Power System

G

gs

I need a clarification:

(i) If a diesel generator need to synchronized with a wind a turbine generator (operating at 15% deloading mode), which is used for only inertial support during load change, then is it justifiable to use diesel generator under droop governor mode?

(ii) Is it feasible to control power system for 5 % and 10 % Step load perturbation by adapting primary frequency control

[email protected]

It would most likely depend on the relative capability of the wind turbine and the diesel generator. If the wind turbine is 1.5 MW and the diesel generator is 800 kW, then I would say the diesel should be in Droop. If the wind turbine is 800 Kw (and operating at 15% below 800 kW) and the diesel is 1.5 MW, then I would say the diesel should be in Isochronous mode, UNLESS the winds are very gusty and the wind turbine governor/blade pitch control isn't very good.

AND, it's really not clear from the post if there are other generators connected to the wind turbine when this "load change" is taking place. Nor is it clear what the nature of the "load change" is.

So, there are many unknowns for this first question.

"Primary frequency control" is a term that is used to mean many different things. Usually, it refers to a way of operating a prime mover and generator at less than rated output (so, part load) with some kind of load control active and when connected to a grid with other prime movers and generators (so the prime mover is operating in Droop mode with an outer loop of load control). In this case, primary frequency response would over-ride load control during a frequency disturbance, allowing Droop speed control to properly respond to the frequency disturbance. Without this "primary frequency control" during a frequency disturbance the prime mover would try to maintain the load control setpoint instead of allowing the load to change to support grid stability.

"Primary frequency control" is also sometimes used to refer to Droop speed control. And sometimes the term "free governor control" is also used to refer to Droop speed control.

It's a very confusing time to be in the power generation industry; one must understand the terminology and the situation to be able to respond appropriately to questions. And, there's just not enough information in this post about the grid in question (how many generators and prime movers; how frequency is being controlled on the grid in question; etc.).

Hope this helps! Wish I could have been more helpful, but there's not enough information.