Today is...
Sunday, August 25, 2019
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
A demonstration of EtherCAT control of linear motors using the CTC EtherCAT master.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Relay Maximum Switching Voltage
Getting 240 VAC from a 3 wire 3 phase system to avoid overloading a relay maximum switching voltage.

I have a shore power relay with an output contact maximum switching voltage of 250 V AC. This is a Schneider Electric RM22TA33.

The input to the relay is 3 phases @ 415 V (this is within spec).
The relay senses symmetry, and when conditions are met, it closes the N/O output contact to energise a 415 V coil (5 W steady power, 30 W inrush power).

My issue is that this relay is on a ship which has generators connected as a 3 phase, 4 wire system (eg there is a neutral). However the relay is only utilised to provide shore power to the ship.

The shore power is a 3 phase 3 wire system. There is no neutral.

In essence the schematic goes as such:

L3--------relay N/O contact-------contactor coil-----L1

Therefore, under normal circumstances there is 415 V of potential across the open contact...

Is there anyway to overcome this? It is obviously exceeding the spec of the contact rating. However, I don't have a neutral available to install an interposing relay...

Would a Delta-Wye transformer work? I also have a snapshot of the schematic here if that can be attached at all...excuse me as I am new here.

Kind Regards,