Today is...
Tuesday, October 23, 2018
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
Wiring and programming your servos and I/O just got a lot easier...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
JIC Standards
Can anyone recommend a web site with this information or a book detailing the JIC Standards for Electrical Drawings.

There are a large amount of companies purporting to offer symbol sets or drawing packages for CAD enabling you to draw to JIC standards and client that require drawings to JIC. The problem is there seems to be lots of different intepretations of these standards so I'm trying to find a copy of JIC standards with reference to Controls drawings (symbols etc). Can anyone recomend a web site with this information or a book.

By Doug Oliphant on 21 August, 2001 - 5:08 pm

Did you get a reply to this from anyone?

By Terry Gialluca on 14 September, 2001 - 2:18 pm

Did you get a reply to this from anyone?

By Claus Kinder on 12 July, 2003 - 10:26 am

I have a copy of 1960 standard published in the Electro-Technology April 1967 issue.

I am looking for an update too. Has anyone found it yet?

By David Johnson on 16 September, 2003 - 8:55 am

I have been looking for about 1 year. I have been led to believe the JIC Electrical Standards has been absorbed into the NFPA 79 Electrical standards for industrial machinery

I have JIC ELECTRONIC STANDARDS for MASS PRODUCTION EQUIPMENT and GENERAL PURPOSE MACHINE TOOLS EL-1-71

JIC HYDRAULIC STANDARDS for INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT and GENERAL PURPOSE MACHINE TOOLS H-1-1973

JIC PNEUMATIC STANDARDS for INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT and GENERAL PURPOSE MACHINE TOOLS P-1-1975

By Yves Brunet on 31 October, 2001 - 1:31 pm

We are looking for the same JIC document, any luck ? We find for ISA, IEC, etc, but still looking for JIC

Regards,
Yves Brunet
ybrunet@famictech.com

By Audrey Tiffin on 21 June, 2002 - 4:56 pm

Have you received any information yet. We are looking too.

The JIC Standard has not been published since 1968 unless someone know different. IEEE is now the standard for electrical Symbols.

Have you found any thing yet?

I have a hard copy of JIC Mass Production Equipment EMP-1-67 and General Purpose Machine Tools EGP-1-67

By William Sturm on 30 October, 2003 - 8:34 pm

The NFPA carries the Electrical Standards for
Industrial Machinery. NFPA 79 is the latest. These
used to be known as the the JIC standard.

Here is a link:
http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/category.asp?category%5Fname=Electrical+%7C+Codes%2FStandards&Page=1&src=catalog

Bill Sturm

I agree! I am preparing a handbook book on this subject with comprehensive CAD symbols for these and other industrial symbols and coding methods. I have found an info page from "AMT" as follows:
JIC standards of 1973 now obsolete and replaced by the NFPA committeE versions and available from ANSI.---
ANSI(NFPA/JIC) T2.24.1 and perhaps others.

If you find a DVD for this let me know.

James, did you ever get to finish your handbook?

By Monty Watt on 30 June, 2010 - 12:28 pm

JIC is no longer a standards organization the NFPA now has that standard. The problem is the NFPA keeps just a small portion of symbols that was in the JIC. At one time I taught classes to the electricians at Amana. They had to deal with so many different drawings from different manufactures with different symbols I had made up booklets with the symbols from JIC standards and NFPA standards.

If you want a copy of the old JIC standards (which is the best reference in my opinion) you can down load them from the following website:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2742266/JIC-ELECTRICAL-STANDARDS

I hope this helps