Automated loop checking software for DCS

L

LCSOGuy

DCS loop checking has been a time consuming process in previous projects requiring an electrician and configuration engineer approximately 10 minutes per loop check.

Performing a simple loop check doesn't address several configuration concerns such as instrument range vs. control system range and other signal conditioning type checks.

Is anyone aware of a loop check software package on any DCS for HART instruments that allows for testing wiring AND instrument setup vs. control system configuration?

What? I know when I loop check, the range in both the conventional instruments and the DCS/PLC is part of the "loop check" and is a vary important step. If your loop checking does not include this, rewrite your procedure ASAP. As for the ten minutes per loop, that sounds great.

But i'm James
"Just an Instrument Mechanic"

Thanks for the response, James.

I should have been more exact about what I'm looking for...

Essentially, I want to avoid sending an electrician out in the field b/c the system can use HART communications to set current outputs at the transmitters. While the wiring loop check occurs perhaps the software could use HART to check ranges, etc. Does anyone offer such a tool or would anyone be interested in this type of tool?