combination of VFD drive with a drive without flow control.

A

Aneesh

I would like know that can I use a pump having flow control mecahnism like VFD with pump not having any flow control. Both the pumps will be discharging to the same header ie; discharge of both pump will be connected to a common pipe line. Will it be detrimental to the pump with VFD

F

Fred Thomasson

Flow control with using a VFD is simple if you have a single flow measurement in the common pipe and that is the flow you want to control.

I once had a header that was being supplied pulp by a pump with a VFD. There were five paper machines that pulled stock from the header. I used the VFD to maintain the average header pressure constant. I measured the pressure at both ends of the header and took the average value. Controlling the header pressure decoulped the flows from the pressure. This is important as you don't want pressre variations to cause the stock flow to a paper machine to vary whenever one of the other machine changes its pulp demand flow. This causes a variation to the pulp consistency which can mess up the qualiy of the paper.

A VFD can also improve the energy efficiency of a process.

Fred Thomasson
[email protected]