Control.com Help

J
Ken,

Looking forward to seeing your new ideas.

I am a fan of this web site and hope to continue to both contribute to it and receive valuable information from it.

Keep up the great work!!

Jerry Miille

C
I think one of the best ways to help might be to point out forums (fora?) that you think work well. For my own part, I don't like web based mailing lists, but others do. And pointing out a good ML engine covers a lot of ground in one fell swoop.

Regards
cww

> My personal problem was trudging through a bunch of worthless stuff to
> find the opportunity to learn or help if possible.

So, now we're at the crux of the problem--at least for the original poster.

It is the nature of forums like this with a lot of information on specific topics to have multiple threads with slight differences which makes searching through them for nuggets more time-consuming.

"One man's junk is another man's treasure."

As the saying implies, what may be "...worthless stuff..." to one person might be invaluable to another.

While the post has prompted some good exchanges and ideas, it's interesting to know what prompted the original poster to submit his "question".

I look forward to seeing the new changes coming to control.com. I will resurrect the wiki articles I was working on a while back. I will write a "tutorial" wiki for providing useful information to posts about GE-design heavy duty gas turbine control-related issues.

But I hope the moderators don't apply any extra "filtration" to GE-design heavy duty gas turbine control-related questions. Not because of this thread, at least.

My only question regarding posting graphic and files is..... how do we know, restrict, publishing information that is proprietary or basically restricted in agreements between entire countries.

Too much for me to handle. The site may be handle it through other means. IP addresses????????????

In reply to CTTech: If you own the information, drawings, diagrams, etc., you can post them. If you don't, then you can't without the owner's permission. That means for example you cannot post control drawings from a GE Mark V system without GE's permission. That is how copyright works just about everywhere in the world.

If you create a drawing yourself, then you are the copyright holder and you can post it. However, you still can't reveal trade secrets. Whether or not something is a trade secret is probably too complicated to go into here. Trade secrets however do not have as broad a reach as many people seem to believe.

So what this means is that if you want to draw a graph to illustrate a theoretical point, or if someone wants to post a schematic of a design they are creating, that should be OK. If you want to post schematics out of a vendor's manuals, that is probably *not* OK unless the vendor gives their permission (which they virtually never do).

As for "restricted in agreements between entire countries", I don't know what that means, but it's probably moot as it is likely something that you can't copy anywhere, anytime, anyway.

If you understand what the above means, then you have a pretty good understanding of what people are talking about when they say they like GPL, Creating Commons, and unrestricted open standards.

To all Control.Com participants... this thread brought back fond memories of both Sicilian grandmother's and what they taught me as a child:

"Quannu Ai Lu Stomacu Chinu Trovi Difitti Cu Lu Mangiari!"

The translation is, loosely, "When one's belly is filled, he soon finds fault with the food!"

Best Regards during this "giving" period. Regards, Phil Corso