GE Exciter Rectifier Cooling Fan

C

Chris

We had a fan motor fail on one of our GE (Frame 6) Generator's Exciter Rectifier. It's a double shaft blower. My contact tells me the GE part is no longer available. The label plate (sticker) indicates that the motor GE used is a sample motor HF2H. It's 115V 1320/1580 RPM 7.5MFD 50/60HZ 6.0Amps 370 VAC and Thermally protected. The local motor shop we use normally says that the sample motor would have had more digits after HF2H if it was 'accepted'. I have a 2 day outage (just got shorter) to pull this motor and either find a replacement or ... rewound?... I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this and knows about this motor, and who may have one.

Chris... the relatively small-size capacitor is indicative of a split-phase motor with a permanently connected "run-capacitor" and not a split-phase "capacitor-start" motor.

Unless you are sure the motor winding has failed I suggest you test the capacitor.

Regards, Phil Corso (cepsicon[at]aol[dot]com)

I am the Product Line Leader for Services at GE Measurement and Control Solutions. I have reviewed your question in our knowledge management system which has a number of troubleshooting guides and TILs related to blower motors and exciters. However, I would need to know what type of Exciter you have to help further. This information is also available to you at no cost via Controls Connect Portal. See note below.

If you are a turbine operator, business associate or EPC firm, you can go to http://site.ge-energy.com/online_tools/controls_connect.htm for more information via the GE Controls Connect portal. You will need to register but it is a fairly quick registration. Once you register, it should be a short time to get access to the system. In Controls Connect you can search the knowledge database for similar issues, find manuals, TILS, white papers, etc or phone/email the technical support team directly. This is a FREE service. I hope this helps.