Safety Instrumented Systems (SIL/SIS)

B

B.Wills

Looking for useful info and actual case studies on SIL evaluation and design of SIS systems. Any enthusiasts out there ?

B.Wills

B
There is a fair amount of information available on the Internet if you search under "safety integrity level" and "safety instrumented system." You might also try "layer of protection analysis." Using the complete words rather than acronyms brings a better response.

There are some books on the subject:

"Safety Integrity Level Selection, Systematic Methods Including Layer of Protection Analysis," Ed Marszal P.E. C.F.S.E & Dr. Eric W. Scharpf, MIPENZ, ISA, ISBN 1-55617-777-1, 2002.

"Safety Shutdown Systems: Design, Analysis and Justification," Paul Gruhn, P.E. & Harry Cheddie, P.E., ISA, ISBN 1-55617-665-1, 1998

"Guidelines for Safe Automation of Chemical Processes," CCPS, AIChemE, ISBN 0-8169-0554-1, 1993

I published a three part article in CONTROL magazine titled "The Complete Safety System" which might be of interest(www.controlmagazine.com search for author "mostia" and key word "safety system" ("Search" is in the upper right corner and takes awhile to come up)). There is also an article by me on "Safety Systems - From The Past to the Future" which provides some historical perspective to the current state of the safety system standards and practices. I will also have an article in September's CONTROL on "What Is A Safety Instrumented Function" which is pertinent to the discussion of SIS and SIL.

The standard ANSI/ISA 84.01-1996, "Application of Safety Instrumented Systems for the Process Industries," covers this subject and Appendix "A" has an example of SIL selection. There are also some S84 technical reports on quantitative SIL calculations and safety instrumented systems testing.

The international standard IEC 61511 - "Functional safety of Safety Instrumented Systems for the Process Industry Sector" which is the future ANSI/ISA 84.01 covers this subject and IEC 61511-3 - Part 3: Guidance for the determination of the required safety integrity levels - informative" discusses various methods currently in use to determine target SIL.

ISA has a safety division and information can be found at http://www.isa.org/~safety/. There are numerous papers published at ISA symposiums on the subject.

My company's web site (www.exida.com) has a number of articles available on safety instrumented systems(SIS).

Bill Mostia
=====================================================
William(Bill) L. Mostia, Jr. P.E.
Partner
exida.com
Worldwide Excellence in Dependable Automation
[email protected](b) [email protected](h)
www.exida.com 281-334-3169
These opinions are my own and are offered on the basis of Caveat Emptor.