SIMATIC field-PG

J

james fang

DOES anybody know how siemens field pg connect to S5 through its own lan-card (VIA)?

I've used PG 740 to connect S5 with a cp1413. Now I get a new field pg (step5 included), but can it reach S5 through it's own lan-card (not cp1511) in STEP5?

I never heard about connection to S5 controller with network card (anybody?). All you need is RS232/TTY converter and RS232 cable, because S5 controllers have PG port, which is TTY (current loop) analog of RS232.

--
Mike mailto:[email protected]

Go to the “Setting PG/PC Interface” icon in the control panel. There you can install the NIC card of the PC you want to use. Within S5, under project settings, Tab1 PLC, select the interface that you will be using.

Don’t expect it to work. Have the Siemens hotline number ready and be prepared to stay on the line for hours waiting on a competent technician to help you set it up. Don’t give up, it can be done. Try not to lose your temper at the poor technician, he just tries to answer questions, he didn’t design the thing. Also beware of the “you must buy the latest software for thousands of $$$” song and dance that all hotline techs are trained to use. Be patient, and eventually they will send a rep from your area over to help out. Of course he will just look at it and make all the same phone calls that you did, with same results. Eventually a regional manager would get involved and a real German engineer will come look at it and point out that you just need to do a couple point and clicks to get it talking. Simple as that!

Sorry for the tirade, just been there, done that.

Good luck.

D

Donald Pittendrigh

It was quite a tirade, wasn't it.

I just plugged everything in and it worked first time, but then I started off by reading the free, downloadable manual at www.siemens.de made quite a difference actually. It’s a trick I learned from my Father, he says that most people always read the idiot book last...

Regards
Donald Pittendrigh

P
And if you don't want to read the manual you can always try this.

SIMATIC NET must be installed because the IE SOFTNET-S7 driver will be used with the Onboard Ethernet card. Also, the Industrial Ethernet (SINEC H1) option won't be available until the Siemens ISO (Industrial Ethernet) Protocol has been bound to the card (ie. Network Properties). For more information, please go to the Customer Support website (http://www4.ad.siemens.de), enter 1945512 in the Search field and click Go.