What is Paralleling Switchgear?

• Thread starter Robert Dannenfelser
  • Start date
R

Robert Dannenfelser

We are currently engaged in a project involving on-site power generation, where the power source can either run in parallel with the grid, to reduce utility demand, or run grid independent. There is a heated "debate" ongoing as to what constitutes "Paralleling Switchgear" versus "Ordinary Switchgear".

Is there an recognized industry standard, or better yet, a coded definition, of what makes switchgear "paralleling" versus non-paralleling?

Thank you,

Bob Dannenfelser ----- Energy Systems Project Manager
(V) 603-430-7084 (F) 603-334-3310 (C) 410-340-8058 (H)
410-282-3175

"Choose to Lead the Field, then it's OK to play Follow the Leader!"

Have done many jobs on base load power stations, co-generation systems etc etc. Sydney olympics, hospitals, clubs etc. Diesel generator systems are my speciality.
I do not understand the question. Switchgear is switchgear. How you control it is a different kettle of fish. For co-generation the important thing is the co-generation controller - not the switchgear.
Contact me if you wish - [email protected].

D
Bob is correct... switchgear is switchgear. The key concerns are the controls to run as cogen or stand alone. To run as a cogen synchronization with the grid before closing the buss is the key concern. Several companies make sync monitors that can accomplish this task automatically or it can be done manually with the old die hard sync scope. Either way synchronization is the key.

To run standalone requires more sophisticated control to maintain proper rotational speed of the generator to output 60hz power. The power company "base" load plants have this type of control to provide 60hz power based on load demand. This is not a problem with cogen as the generator is "sync'd" to the grid and "pushes" against the 60hz frequency to generate power.

I have a small 1mw hydro generating plant and if the recloser is opened and my load is lost my generators overspeed because of not being able to utilize all of the power generated by the turbines. At 1mw we don't have to worry about speed control because of our small size compared to the capability of the large nuke and coal fired "base load" plants on the grid.

Again, no difference in the switchgear, just the control strategies based on the type of plant you are running.

David