Using a Computer to Start/Stop a Diesel Generator

H

Harry Truax

Hello, I am researching how to start and stop a diesel generator using software - either a computer or some other device that can be programmed to do so.

The computer/device would also need to be able to receive running status from the generator. The start/stop signals would be time based, so say at 8:00 AM a start signal would be sent, then at 8:00 PM a stop signal would be sent. Runtime duration needs to be variable in nature, so it could be from say 4 hours up to say 18 hours or whatever.

Also, as mentioned, status info would be received so that the control software would know if the start signal was successful, and other bits of info like the generator was warmed up and could start taking a load, etc.. The control device would also be controlling other devices [in addition to the generator] which would provide the load for the generator, etc.

So it would be like a master controller, controlling other devices in addition to the generator.

I have looked at various controllers like DeepSea and DynaGen but it looks like they lack the features I am seeking.

I am new at all of this so if anyone knows of a way to do this, or hardware/software products that could do this I would greatly appreciate it.

I have some programming experience, so if I need to manually write some software I could muddle my way through it, but I just need some expert guidance to get me started.

Thanks!

Harry Truax
hetruax [at] gmail.com

P

Patrick Lansdorf

Hi there,

The first thing you need to find out is how to communicate with the generator. For instance, If the generator support Modbus RTU, you will need a Modbus RTU master to communicate with it.

And you need to find out how to communicate with the other devices. The Ideal would be if generator and other devices communicate by the same protocol (or Fieldbus).

Normally, one would use a PLC for controller and it would act as master reading and writing to/from the generator and other devices.

//Pat