Transformer Selection

• Thread starter Troy Johnston Plant Engineer
  • Start date
T

Troy Johnston Plant Engineer

I'm needing to convince some people of the importance and advantages of choosing a 480 vac 3ph 60hz transformer over a 208/120 in a new warehouse. It will also house a Maintenance shop with 480 v equipment and another area that will have machines with components (motors etc.) that require 480.

If anyone can help me, please do.

And thanks!

Troy... cost comparison is the best way to convince most people, especially if they're paying the tab.

1) I'm familiar with a 1998 comparison study that showed a 480V would save $40/kVA demand over 208V.

2) Although the 208V system has been around a long time, today, the 480V is preferred.

From a technical view point:

3) Higher volts means lower current... less copper... smaller wires, less installation labor costs, etc.

4) 480V loads already exist. You'd need additional transformers to step-up the 208V to 480V.

5) Presumably, because it's a maintenance shop, general-area HVAC requirement will be large.

6) Then too, hi-bay lighting is probable, and hi-bay lighting fixtures lend themselves well to 277V.

Do you have details; floor-area, building volume, construction-type, location, etc?

Regards,
Phil Corso