Today is...
Friday, December 15, 2017
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
A demonstration of EtherCAT control of linear motors using the CTC EtherCAT master.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Modbus Communication over PC
Looking for a product that will collect data via TCP Modbus and send value to building management system via Modbus.

Hi I am having a project that need to:

1. Collect data via TCP Modbus from slaves to my PC

2. Do some data comparison and output a value from the PC program (maybe c++/ vba etc.)

3. Send the value to building management system via Modbus for fault
identification

Actually, I am looking for solutions for the 3rd part. Is there any
possible solution that makes PC's content to Modbus format and send it
over to BMS's master?

By James Ingraham on 25 May, 2016 - 5:17 pm

The first question is, what is the Building Management System? It is entirely possible that it already has some means of collecting Modbus/TCP data. Otherwise, a conversion to some protocol it does speak is possible, e.g. BACnet. How does ANY data get into the BMS? Answer that question and I better tell you what your options are for getting Modbus/TCP translated over.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

There is different ways to send data on Modbus TCP through PC. But I think the best one is KepServer from Kepware. I think also it has the facility to communicate with a C++ application.

AdvancedHMI gives you all the tools you need to communicate with Modbus devices. It is a Visual Studio based tool set, so if the tool you need is not part of AdvancedHMI, you have full access to all languages and tools offered by VS.