Running Centum VP in a Virtual Machine

M

mudassir_mehmood

We are replacing our Honeywell TDC3000 DCS on a plant. The new DCS is Centum VP with software release R6.03.00. I have come to know that the software requires Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 with 8-GB RAM.

I want to install the software in a virtual machine on my PC for learning / engineering purpose.

Tried Windows 7 Virtual Machine software but we came to know that it doesn't support 64-bit guests. Then we tried Oracle's Virtual Box. We were able to install Windows and Centum VP software, but the virtual machine crashes as soon as the Test Function is started.

My question is: What is the minimum requirement to install and run Centum VP in a virtual machine? Can it be installed on a 32-bit Windows? If so, I can stick to Virtual PC instead of Virtual Box.

Mind that I am not deploying the machine in a production environment. I only want to run the software in a VM for learning purpose. Before that, I have used Centum CS3000 software very conveniently on a virtual PC.

M

mudassir_mehmood

Just to let everybody know that Centum VP builder functions do not work with 32-bit Windows. Which means you can't create an EWS and use Test Function. This is also mentioned in Centum VP Installation manual. 64-bit Windows 7 is a must for EWS.

Installation goes fine till the end, but License Manager fails to distribute builder licenses on 32-bit HIS, saying the package is "not supported" on target machine.

A normal HIS, without builder functions (System View) might work on 32-bit Windows. Yokogawa Centum VP installation manual says so, although I haven't tried it myself.

Having said that, Windows Virtual PC and Microsoft Virtual PC which support only 32-bit guests are out of question. As I said, Virtual Box VM was crashing as soon as I started the Test Function.

The next thing I am going to try is VMware. I will update here if it worked.

mudassir

Nice to say hello, I have been looking for the software installers for this control system for a long time, it is possible that you could share them with me please.

Just to let everybody know that Centum VP builder functions do not work with 32-bit Windows. Which means you can't create an EWS and use Test Function. This is also mentioned in Centum VP Installation manual. 64-bit Windows 7 is a must for EWS.

Installation goes fine till the end, but License Manager fails to distribute builder licenses on 32-bit HIS, saying the package is "not supported" on target machine.

A normal HIS, without builder functions (System View) might work on 32-bit Windows. Yokogawa Centum VP installation manual says so, although I haven't tried it myself.

Having said that, Windows Virtual PC and Microsoft Virtual PC which support only 32-bit guests are out of question. As I said, Virtual Box VM was crashing as soon as I started the Test Function.

The next thing I am going to try is VMware. I will update here if it worked.