Current transformer secondary distance

M

M.Schultz

Using a standard "donut" CT (say 100:5 2va burden) how do I determine the maximum distance I can run the secondary output before losing accuracy?

P

Phil Corso, PE

Responding to M. Schultz's 25-Mar-08 (21:43) query... Accuracy is primarily (excuse the pun) affected by burden and the CTs secondary-winding impedance:

Assume your CT conformed to USA ANSI C57.13, then its Burden Designation would be B-0.2, which means the burden should not exceed 0.2 Ohm. This corresponds to a maximum resistance and reactance of 0.180 and 0.086 0hm, respectively.

If additional detail is required, let me know!

Regards, Phil Corso (cepsicon @ aol. com)

R
So Phil,

Being unfamiliar with the ANSI reference, are you telling us that the burden rating of a CT is meaningless? If so what is the point of having CTs with different burden ratings? I would have thought you could apply Ohm's law to get an impedance of 0.08 Ohms.

I have sometimes seen a CT in the MCC connected to an Ammeter on the control panel several hundred feet away, typically 0-1 Amp from memory. I assume that under startup conditions the burden is exceeded but from a Ammeters point of view this would be a good thing, i.e. pegged to the stop but not by too much.

Your ANSI reference, does that refer to metering, protection or both?

Regards,
Roy

P

Phil Corso, PE

Roy, answering your questions in the order presented:

1) What did I write that led you to believe I said that burden was meaningless? The R and X values I provided are the maximum burden for the CT cited in the example! As a matter of fact its rating was given as 5.0 VA!

2) The number of CT burdens is limited to a few values.

3) Application of Ohm’s law yielding 0.08 Ohm would provide a burden 2 and 1/2 times the recommended value!

4) What was the point you were making with your ammeter example? That one shouldn't use Standards?

5) The Standard I referred to covered metering CTs!

Regards, Phil