Ethernet Data collection PLC

T

Timothy Reitmeyer

I am looking for a PLC to do data collection. It needs to collect pulses at about 100KhZ and after it collects n samples, it needs to reply via TCPIP to a PC and VB6. Has anyone done a simular project, or know of a good fit of a ethernet PLC?

Looking at your statement, the following questions are coming up:
What exactly do you need to collect: puls with, puls duration, number of pulses or a combination of above. And how are your triggering the collecttion?

Second question: Why does it need to be a PLC, most likely, a programmable PCI-counter board with DMA could do it as well...

Stephan
[email protected]

G

gary wrotnowski

I have worked 15 years with Siemens S5/S7 PLCs
Last year I helped a carpet manufacturer set up Ethernet for communicaton to S5 and and S7 and OPC driver set up to OPC client on a PC.
To count high speed pulses you could use the Siemens S7300 (shoebox size) family of components and Ladder logic editor.
The brick version CPU 313C and 314C offers high speed counter and I/O in the CPU module so it could have all you need in one box. There is also a separate High speed counter module if needed, the FM350 card. However you need to add a CP343 TCP/IP module as well. The OPC client loads into the Windows PC and permits the set up of variable read/write capability to the Data Blocks in the PLC memory map. The OPC driver (Siemens product) also gives you the "controls" you need to build read / write variable events into you Visual Basic application.
-If cost is the primary issue, Siemens also has a S7 200 micro PLC that recently added the Ethernet card to the line up. What I do not know is what OPC products there are currently that talk to the S7200.
-Other questions?
[email protected]
gary wrotnowski, Siemens technical trainer

What kind of pluses. Analog, or digital, TTL, VHSC card stuff or what. If you are going to send the data to a pc. Use the pc for the data collection. With a National Instruments card or Computer boards card. They can collect data real time or at given sample rates. Some cards are 500Ks/S or faster. We design systems like this daliy and are very easy to impliment. There is more involved then I could explain here but email if you need any help...Rick [email protected]

C
Most PLC's that are connected with TCP/IP have also high speed counter cards/inputs, as for the communication with your program you can use an OPC/DDE server kepware, automation toolbox, etc.
So use the PLC platform you know and already have.

One thing if you use DDE this is supported in VB6 but not in .net.

Carel Colpa
CESystems