Ex d (or Ex m) solenoids with Ex ia switch-boxes/position transmitters

Hi,

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place but I'm new to the forum

We're developing a condition monitoring sensor for actuated valves and have run into a technical question that I'm struggling to answer. Does anyone have any insight into how common it would be to have an actuated valve that uses Ex d/Ex m solenoid valves, but where the switch box or position transmitter is Ex ia/Ex ib (Zone 1)?

Do sites tend to adopt a single protection concept for both the solenoids and the position sensing or is it common that protection concepts could be mixed?

Thanks,
Richard...

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response. I have a basic understanding of the different types of protection but my question is more about industry practice. For example, in a Zone 1 application I believe/suspect that it's fairly common to apply different protection concepts in the same area (eg, solenoids could be Ex d, but sensors might be Ex i).

I'm trying to confirm whether my understanding is correct, or whether users tend to pick one concept and apply it to everything

Good morning, Welsh,
I have worked in gas compression project where the solenoid control valves CSV attached to BDV/SDV are Exd and the limit switches are classified Ex i.
This is due to the fact that the CSV requires enough power to energies the coil however with Exi the energy is limited in the loop

Hope this helps

Good morning, Welsh,
I have worked in gas compression project where the solenoid control valves CSV attached to BDV/SDV are Exd and the limit switches are classified Ex i.
This is due to the fact that the CSV requires enough power to energies the coil however with Exi the energy is limited in the loop

Hope this helps
This is really helpful - Confirms my suspicion but it's great to hear first hand!

Thanks you :)