Negative KVAr

B

Bill

I have a single generator on the utility grid at 480vac. I seem to have no Power factor control. the PF will vary from .98 lagging to .98 leading. It has a caterpillar cdvr on it for a voltage regulator. the regulator is set up for power factor control and the setting is .95 lagging. Does it sound like my cdvr is going bad?

When did this problem begin?

How long has it persisted?

If this has not been happening since the original start-up or started after some maintenance outage, then it might mean it's time to replace the dvr (digital voltage regulator?).

It might be some setting, like droop or deadband/hysteresis.

I don't have any experience with the Cat exciter voltage regulator but most are pretty similar and have the same or similar settings.

But, there's really too little information. And it may well be the cost of the device and configuring it outweighs the cost of troubleshooting. As long as you're sure of the inputs and the configuration settings, you might be right to just replace the device--as long as you are comfortable with configuring it (programming it) and the settings you would be copying from the existing unit.

Let us know what you decided and how you fared.