Problem with ABB MagMaster flow transmitter

A

Abdulla Habra

Deal All,
In one of my project we are using ABB MagMaster flow meters, (about 9 FMs).

We are really facing a serious problems with this instrument, since they are keep on burning.

ABB technicians come to the site multitimes, they repair and replace more than half instruments but with no benefits.

They still keep on burning.
I hope some one can guide me how to solve this problem since we already replace 7 pieces and repair other, but again they get burned.

Factory techs have been to your site multiple times, viewed the evidence of failure but haven't solved the cause of the 'burning' problem, yet you expect forum participants from all over the world to somehow understand what is going on with limited information as limited as you've provided such as "they keep on burning"?

We are not telepathic. We can not read your mind.

It is your responsibility to provide COMPLETE information on how, where and under what process conditions the mags are used and EXACTLY what is meant by "burning" and what the ABB people have told you thus far.

No less than a 300 word explanation, please.

David

Check your grounding, for this type of transmitter grounding is critical, if possible make ground point just for it don't share with others

If you really want to get this problem solved, you should be talking to ABB, not us. You haven't given us your contact information, so I can't even forward this to the responsible executive at ABB.

If I had 9 magmeters, and 7 of them were burning out (which is what I understand you to say) repeatedly, I wouldn't be looking at the meters. I would assume the problem is in my plant power supply to the meters. The odds of there being a problem in the ABB flowmeters are very very slim. Now if I only had one meter doing this, it might be different. Especially since you say they've replaced more than half the meters already.

Face it, Abdulla, it ain't ABB's problem. It is your plant power. You gotta fix that yourself.

And don't blame ABB in a public forum for stuff like that. It isn't right.

Next time, call an electrician.

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control and Controlglobal.com, www.controlglobal.com
Mailto:[email protected]
Read my blog SoundOFF!! At www.controlglobal.com/soundoff

A

Abdulla Habra

Dear Mr. Walt,
Please find reply below:

> If you really want to get this problem solved, you should be talking to ABB, not us. You haven't given us your contact information, so I can't even forward this to the responsible executive at ABB. <

I already talk to ABB, they try their best, but no benefit.

> If I had 9 magmeters, and 7 of them were burning out (which is what I understand you to say) repeatedly, I wouldn't be looking at the meters. I would assume the problem is in my plant power supply to the meters. The odds of there being a problem in the ABB flowmeters are very very slim. Now if I only had one meter doing this, it might be different. Especially since you say they've replaced more than half the meters already. Face it, Abdulla, it ain't ABB's problem. It is your plant power. You gotta fix that yourself. <

Your words are logicaly OK, but since I have RTU, MOV and many other instruments at site with the same power source, every thing is working fine except this flow meters, I believe the problem is not from MAIN POWER.

> And don't blame ABB in a public forum for stuff like that. It isn't right. <

I am not blaming any one, I just want to solve my problem and find solutions.

A

Abdulla Habra

Thank you for your kindly reply,

Grounding is ok, we already check grounding system multi times before using MAGOR, and also ABB technician again test it and he never say problem from grounding.

R

Rohit Chandak

We are debating over unnecessary issues rather than finding a solution. Did ABB guy checked the MagMeter's internal wiring? Could you check the ground once again especially from the meter side. It could be that the workman ship on the meter was not done well.

Since 7 out of 9 meters are failure, it could be that meters are not suitable for the application. Could you please give more information on the application on which these meters are being used. Else think of changing the technology & try on one of the line before you change all the flow meters. Give more application information to suggest alternative technology.

A

Abdulla Habra

Dear sir,

Thank you for your replay. Please find replay below:

> We are debating over unnecessary issues rather than finding a solution. Did ABB guy checked the MagMeter's internal wiring? <

They check it, they update one electronic part of the transmitter on each site, but it is not solve the problem.

> Could you check the ground once again especially from the meter side. <

ABB peoples check it, and we check it many times, any way I will recheck it again.

> It could be that the workman ship on the meter was not done well. <

If so, then how can I solve it?

> Since 7 out of 9 meters are failure, it could be that meters are not suitable for the application. Could you please give more information on the application on which these meters are being used. <

This is exactly what I am thinking right now, ABB peoples visit sites many time but they did not raise problem like this. Any way, flow meters are installed on water wells, sensor is outdoor while transmitter is indoor (placed on the door of metal panel (scada panel).

> Else think of changing the technology & try on one of the line before you change all the flow meters. Give more application information to suggest alternative technology. <

Changing technology will cause reducing of accuracy which is unacceptable by the client. Do you know better technology to use with same accuracy?

ABB have been making magnetic flowmeters for many years, I doubt there is a problem with the meter, more likely something with your installation. Tell us more about "Burning Out" what do you see, dammage to the electronics or to the tube?

Is it the 4-20 mA that stops working or does the local display fail also?

You say they are outdoors, do you have electrical storms in the area?
Are you sending the 4-20 mA signal a long way back to the control room?

Do you have a good solid electrical ground cable from the tube to the transmitter?

Is the transmitter AC or DC powered?

The more information you give us the quicker we can tell you what's wrong.

Regards,
Roy