Procedure to change and download control constants in Mark V GE control system

Hi
I have been assigned a task to update few control constants at site, which is MARK V. Can someone give the procedure to change and download control constants with DOS commands?
Note : I searched for threads related to the same but couldn't find the right one.

Thanks
Sud

Attached is GEH-5980. Section 4-8.1 "Modifying a Control Constant".

The manual is based on <IDOS> interface. Its a little different with <HMI> based interface. I'll give an example with <HMI> as I've gotten all <IDOS> out of my fleet years ago. Know that the Mk V runs in real time out of RAM, boots out of EEPROM, and the <HMI> has support files CONST_Q.SRC and CONST_Q.AP1. I'm going to give you a somewhat noncritical example and say there is a constants difference in WLKACH, evap sump level high.

1. With a command prompt in the Unit directory with a path to TCI executables run CONSTCHK T1 (my example is T1 but it can be any Tn or Sn that the HMI is a master to its unit; T4, S1, etc). CONSTCHK will interrogate RAM, EEPROM, CONST_Q.AP1, and CONST_Q.SRC and report the differences. WLKACH is 56.81% in RAM, but 57.81 in EEPROM and the .AP1 and .SRC files, so we have unequal constants

How did that happen? Maybe somebody used the Constants Adjust tool and changed the value but but did not select EEPROM UPDATE and did not manually equalize .SRC/.AP1.

2. Find the constant WLKACH in the Constant Adjust Tool and select EEPROM UPDATE or STORAGE UPDATE. This burns the value in RAM to EEPROM. This is the only thing that can burn to EEPROM without actually using the EEPROM tool. If you run CONSTCHK again you will now see 56.81% in both RAM and EEPROM, but the old value 57.81% is still in .AP1 and .SRC

3. The .SRC file is manually adjusted to reflect what is in RAM and EEPROM. Run CONSTCHK again and you will see those results.

4 Correcting the AP1. This is can be done in two ways. Now that the SRC file reflects what is in RAM and EEPROM you can run MK5MAKE. This will look at all of your SRC files and build new AP1s, not just your constants but all AP1 files. Method 2, you can upload what is in EEPROM from the Mk V. Run "EEPROM ?" This displays the EEPROM tool options. I can pull from EEPROM to the AP1 by running "EEPROM UP T1 R CONST" where <R> is a known good core. Now after either using the "MK5MAKE" method or the "EEPROM UP", run CONSTCHK again. WLKACH is no longer in the list of constants with differences in the various locations. Note that MK5MAKE is a batch file that runs all of the compilers in the correct sequence. There is a third method that would require you to run the compilers manually.

I'm sure @WTF will correct me on the nuances of constants equalization on an <IDOS>.

Attachments

Attached is GEH-5980. Section 4-8.1 "Modifying a Control Constant".

The manual is based on <IDOS> interface. Its a little different with <HMI> based interface. I'll give an example with <HMI> as I've gotten all <IDOS> out of my fleet years ago. Know that the Mk V runs in real time out of RAM, boots out of EEPROM, and the <HMI> has support files CONST_Q.SRC and CONST_Q.AP1. I'm going to give you a somewhat noncritical example and say there is a constants difference in WLKACH, evap sump level high.

1. With a command prompt in the Unit directory with a path to TCI executables run CONSTCHK T1 (my example is T1 but it can be any Tn or Sn that the HMI is a master to its unit; T4, S1, etc). CONSTCHK will interrogate RAM, EEPROM, CONST_Q.AP1, and CONST_Q.SRC and report the differences. WLKACH is 56.81% in RAM, but 57.81 in EEPROM and the .AP1 and .SRC files, so we have unequal constants

How did that happen? Maybe somebody used the Constants Adjust tool and changed the value but but did not select EEPROM UPDATE and did not manually equalize .SRC/.AP1.

2. Find the constant WLKACH in the Constant Adjust Tool and select EEPROM UPDATE or STORAGE UPDATE. This burns the value in RAM to EEPROM. This is the only thing that can burn to EEPROM without actually using the EEPROM tool. If you run CONSTCHK again you will now see 56.81% in both RAM and EEPROM, but the old value 57.81% is still in .AP1 and .SRC

3. The .SRC file is manually adjusted to reflect what is in RAM and EEPROM. Run CONSTCHK again and you will see those results.

4 Correcting the AP1. This is can be done in two ways. Now that the SRC file reflects what is in RAM and EEPROM you can run MK5MAKE. This will look at all of your SRC files and build new AP1s, not just your constants but all AP1 files. Method 2, you can upload what is in EEPROM from the Mk V. Run "EEPROM ?" This displays the EEPROM tool options. I can pull from EEPROM to the AP1 by running "EEPROM UP T1 R CONST" where <R> is a known good core. Now after either using the "MK5MAKE" method or the "EEPROM UP", run CONSTCHK again. WLKACH is no longer in the list of constants with differences in the various locations. Note that MK5MAKE is a batch file that runs all of the compilers in the correct sequence. There is a third method that would require you to run the compilers manually.

I'm sure @WTF will correct me on the nuances of constants equalization on an <IDOS>.

Thank You so much, Mr White, for your timely support. This will really help me to get through. I will update once job is done.

Regards
Sud

Thank You so much, Mr White, for your timely support. This will really help me to get through. I will update once job is done.

Regards
Sud
Changing constants is one job, as detailed in the Mk V Maint Manual. Maintaining and equalizing your constants is another. Again know that the Mk V runs in real time from RAM and you can change constants only in RAM with the Constants Adjust tool. RAM is volatile memory, meaning if you power cycle the Mk panel everything in RAM gets wiped. EEPROM is non-volatile, once EEPROM is programed you can power cycle it and the Mk will pull what is in EEPROM to RAM. Additionally, you can change constant with the .SRC support file and download it to the Mk regardless of what is in RAM or EEPROM. It is very important to maintain equalized constants throughout. I like to work outward from the Mk V RAM and equalize constants to EEPROM then to the support files. What is running in RAM is how the unit is controlling right now in real time.

Also know that some constants may always show up as having a difference when running CONSTCHK as they are the product of a logic function such as a select value or an analog select function. Depending on some as running condition one constant or a different constant may be in operation in RAM. See attached image for an example where KSSREF2 may be one of two different values based on the Select_A logic.

Attachments