To control maximum torque of a motor with VFD

I am designing a screw jack-type hoist that requires a 40 HP, 3-phase, 230 V motor. To prevent overloading the stems and buckling in the event of load jamming, I aim to limit the start and stall torque of the motor. I prefer not to use a mechanical torque limiter, making the reliability of the Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) crucial. Speed control and brake control are unnecessary for my application, eliminating the need for many advanced features that a VFD can offer. I am seeking the most economical VFD available in the North American market that can provide reliable control. I know Magnetek drives can do this but they are relatively expensive as they have many advanced features that I don't need.

Any help is appreciated.

I am designing a screw jack-type hoist that requires a 40 HP, 3-phase, 230 V motor. To prevent overloading the stems and buckling in the event of load jamming, I aim to limit the start and stall torque of the motor. I prefer not to use a mechanical torque limiter, making the reliability of the Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) crucial. Speed control and brake control are unnecessary for my application, eliminating the need for many advanced features that a VFD can offer. I am seeking the most economical VFD available in the North American market that can provide reliable control. I know Magnetek drives can do this but they are relatively expensive as they have many advanced features that I don't need.

Any help is appreciated.
How about Control Techniques M700 drive?

I suggest you re-think your idea of not using a mechanical torque limiter. If you are using a motor whose torque output is sufficiently high to physically damage your hoist, without physically limited the torque, you are opening yourself to damaging the hoist and hurting someone in the event of a VFD failure. It’s sort of like powering a load without using fuses.

I want to express my appreciation for your insightful information on controlling the maximum torque of a motor with a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive). Your clear explanation of the principles and techniques involved in this process is invaluable for those seeking to optimize motor performance. Your expertise and willingness to share knowledge contribute significantly to the understanding of VFD applications. Thank you for providing a helpful resource that empowers individuals to enhance motor control efficiency.