Pressure gauge needs ATEX certification ?

S

sudha

Does anyone clarify for the need of ATEX certification for a pressure gauge, level gauges to be used in potentially explosive atmospheres?

Any standards confirm this ?

I think as long as it does not invlove electrical, like transmitter etc, no ATEX is required.

If it's Indicator + transmitter it will need ATEX or equivalent certifications.

D

david mertens

The differences in ATEX

Compared to the "Old Concept", ATEX also considers the mechanical components and plants. This also affects mining operations.

The existing definition of the term "area at risk of explosion" is not affected. This denotes combustible substances and materials that can detonate when in contact with the air under atmospheric conditions.

Yes Agreed, but what is the reason? as level gauge has not any potential source of ignition.

>I think as long as it does not invlove electrical, like transmitter
> etc, no ATEX is required.

>If it's Indicator + transmitter it will need ATEX or equivalent certifications.

Dear Sudha, though this question been asked log time ago, at first look this question is good. Please refer to my view as per knowledge attained by myself.

Yes, Gauges don't generate electrical spark, however Gauges may be a cause of static charge and hence can contribute to spark ( cause a potential incendive situation ) generation and hence atex comes in to application.

Manufacturers are making such ATEX (Ex) approved gauges as well.
e.g.