How do I Tackle "MEGAWATT TRANSDUCER SIGNAL TROUBLE"

S

samnix

The MEGAWATT TRANSDUCER SIGNAL TROUBLE alarm came up on the HMI and I suspect is the alarm tripping my generator breaker when the am exporting withing 7.0 - 7.5MW from a 25MW generator.

please what can I do about it?
and can it trip my generator breaker?

We have no idea if the unit has a Mark V or a Mark VI Speedtronic turbine control system.

It's not likely that this particular alarm will cause the generator breaker to open (trip), but if the megawatt transducer feedback signal is going negative for some time then it could cause the generator breaker to trip because the Speedtronic thinks the unit is operating in reverse power.

What other alarms are annunciated at the same time (both Process Alarms and Diagnostic Alarms)?

How many megawatt transducers does the unit have? One? Two? Three? (The signal names are usually DWATT1, DWATT2, and DWATT3 if there are as many as three of them, and they are usually high-selected to derive the main load signal, DWATT. To be sure, you would need to look at the sequencing or application running in the Speedtronic in your machine.)

This alarm generally means the feedback from a megawatt transducer does not agree with the feedback from another, or from the other two if there are three of them. So, you will need to find out how many there are, and monitor the feedback from each of them to see what's happening.

But, again, this alarm usually does not result in a generator breaker trip--unless there is some unusual sequencing or application code running in the Speedtronic of the turbine.

The output of the Speedtronic that is used to open the generator breaker is usually the signal L52GT. When L5GT is a logic "1", it's trying to open the generator breaker. So, look at what all is driving L52GT in the Speedtronic of the turbine and monitor all of the permissives to see if the Speedtronic is causing the generator breaker to open (trip).

I suspect if you have a tie line breaker and some kind of import/export monitoring or control scheme that it might be the cause of your problem.

Please write back to let us know what you discover.