Modbus Meter PM710 to Zigbee Jennic JN5148

L

luah

I would like to transmit data from Schneider Power Meter PM710 to Jennic JN5148 devices:

1) Do I need to be very familiar with the RS-485 protocol?

2) I expect that I have to write a program for the microcontroller in Jennic devices, what do I need for the power meter?

3) Do I need to translate the protocol to accommodate the Jennic?

Regards,
Luah

J

John Waalkes

> I would like to transmit data from Schneider Power Meter PM710 to Jennic JN5148 devices:

> 1) Do I need to be very familiar with the RS-485 protocol?

Well, at the risk of sounding flippant, I would say yes, as much as possible.

You are at the very least going to have to know how to make the wiring connection.

> 2) I expect that I have to write a program for the microcontroller in
> Jennic devices, what do I need for the power meter?

That should be the easy part. The PM710 will allow you to poll its registers as a slave node on your Modbus network. You will have to program the Ziigbee to be the Master (or, just to pass the data through it to the real master).

> 3) Do I need to translate the protocol to accommodate the Jennic?

Depends. Suppose you are going to use the Zigbee as just a "conduit" to connect your Master (e.g. a PC) to the PM710, in that case it wouldn't have to do much, and you could use one of the plentiful solutions that are already out there for Modbus (e.g. AdvancedHMI).

Or, if you want to be able to use a lightwieght program more designed to just populate a screen (e.g. a dumb terminal such as a HMI), then you might want to have the Zigbee translate the requests coming from that device to Modbus and then use it to translate them back to what your HMI can support (check out www.modbus.pl for coding examples for embedded processors).

Hope this helps! :)