gas turbine starting systems

M

mectarek

I want to know what the advantages and disadvantages of each starting system of gas turbines (diesel, electric and turbo-starter).

and if I want to change the diesel engine by a turbo-starter what should i calculate.

how to calculate the starting torque.

mectarek,

The biggest criteria for selecting one starting means over any other should be reliability. If you choose a turbo-starter, will the medium passing through the turbo-starter ALWAYS be available for starting?

The general reason diesel engines are used is that they don't require AC for operation. Not all diesel starters are used in black-start mode; sometimes there is insufficient AC power available from the grid to drive an electric starter but there is sufficient power for basic auxiliaries (Aux. L.O. & Hyd. Pumps; Cooling Water Pump; Cooling Water Fans; compartment cooling fans; etc.).

Generally, you will be working with (if you're not a part of) an engineering company who will be responsible for choosing all the necessary auxiliaries for any starting means change. To make a rough calculation of the power available if the turbine already has an electric motor starter, take the motor nameplate data and use the actual current drawn by the motor when starting the turbine, and you should be able to make a rough calculation of the power required. If the turbine has a diesel starting means, you should be able to find the nameplate for the diesel and that should be a good indication. I actually don't know if the required starting torque for any particular turbine is published in any document provided with the turbine....

Hope this helps!