DC to DC converter

F

fuddy

I need to convert a DC generator variable output of 90-160vDC to 24vDC to a charge controller.

Thanks in advance.

C

Curt Wuollet

I would check out common everyday switching power supplies. Many of them will accept that DC range as well as a wide range of AC.

IIRC the Rhino supplies are rated for this at Automation Direct, so I would think it fairly common. Since they have no input transformer in a switcher, it doesn't care how the input capacitors get charged.

Regards
cww

Need clarification: Did you mean variable output 16-90Vdc, or did you mean adjustable regulated 16-90Vdc?

In other words, are you needing a DC to DC converter that accepts an input of 16-90Vdc? If yes, answer Phil's question first...

> I would check out common everyday switching power supplies.

In fact he may be able to go directly to a 24VDC charge controller.

I use a PowerMax PM3-100 PFC to convert from my hybrid car's 144VDC battery to charge two 12V batteries for the aftermarket audio system (car has no alternator, so I couldn't put in a bigger one). It is marketed as AC to DC, but I emailed their tech support and was assured I could just lop off the AC plug and wire it to 144VDC. Did that over a year ago and it's been working fine ever since.

http://www.powermaxconverters.com/index.html

Note that AC rated peak input voltage gets multiplied by sqrt(2) to get the peak DC voltage.

> The AD supplies want a little higher range, but the point
> is that OTS supplies will handle that range.

Not sure what your point is about little higher range. The linked material gives an input of 103-127VAC, 90-160VDC.

The PowerMax SM3-50-24 (rated 50A, 24V nominal, 3-stage charger out) has an input range of 105-135VAC giving it a top end of ~190VDC... which is a bit higher than what you linked (I wouldn't worry about the 90V low end DC range as long as it had enough amperage for max DC out plus converter losses).

I will agree however, what you linked is geared more for commercial, industrial, military applications.

C

Curt Wuollet

I was referring to the Rhino supplies at automation direct. They want
120 VDC minimum.

I would hope that one could find a commodity industrial supply, the Mil stuff is probably pretty spendy.

Regards
cww