Control Panel Layout

F

foxhoundme

Is there a control panel standard practice guideline one could reference for good layout and planning to use on power transformer designs?

B

Bob Peterson

I don't know that what the control panel is for makes all that much difference in layout and planning.

I can't imagine a transformer control panel is going to amount to all that much.

Make it so it is relatively easy to work in and troubleshoot from. The worst thing I see in control panel design is just making them so small that they are hard to work in.

>Make it so it is relatively easy to work in and troubleshoot
>from. The worst thing I see in control panel design is just
>making them so small that they are hard to work in.

I would agree wholeheartedly with this. It's easy to design something on paper that "fits" all the terminal boards and devices and instruments in the space inside a control panel, but that doesn't usually account for wire and cable entry and wire terminations.

I would only add that signal level separation is very important. High-level and low-level signals need to be properly separated--not run in the same conduits and wire trays/"panduits".

It's okay for them to run very close to each other where they enter the control panel, but they should then be run to separate areas in separate wire trays/"panduits" to prevent electrical noise and intermittent problems. And, this is more important where high current and/or high voltage transformers and monitoring equipment is involved in a panel.