Torque Converter Filter Type

A

Ahmed

Hi every one

I am working in a power plant with ten gas turbines of type Frame 9E. I am asking about any information (properties) about the torque converter filter, because I did not found any info about this filter in the digital book. I am decided to replace this filter but I have not any information about it.

My great thanks.

All of my experience with GE-design Frame 9E heavy duty gas turbines was with units which used a Voith torque converter. I don't recall any filter in the torque converter oil circuit--a strainer, yes, but no filter. What company manufactured the torque converter(s) used on the machines at your site?

Have you consulted the Starting Means P&ID--it would show the strainer or any filter. Could it be the strainer is being confused for a filter?

If you're convinced there is a filter, you should contact the packager who supplied the units at your site, if possible, GE, or the torque converter manufacturer for the proper specifications.

Please write to let us know what you discover.

thank you for your fast reply. Yes I am confused. there is a strainer not filter, but I have not any information about it also. no information in PID.

VJ,

A strainer is just to catch large debris before it gets to the pump portion of the torque converter. You should be able to go to the Accessory Compartment and find the strainer enclosure underneath the electric starting motor; it's probably about 25-35 cm tall and about 20-25 cm in diameter. It usually has a screw-clamp closure on the top.

When the unit is NOT running and the Aux. L.O. Pump is also not running, you can open the strainer enclosure, remove the strainer (it's usually shaped something like a basket), clean it, and re-install it paying attention to the o-ring or whatever is used to seal the enclosure when re-closing it. (It can make a HUGE mess if not properly sealed!)

Again, you seem to be assuming there is a filter on the inlet oil supply to the torque converter. While that seems a reasonable assumption, I have never seen one--just the strainer. And, it usually doesn't have a differential pressure indicator or switch across it to know when it's getting dirty.

The P&ID should show the strainer. In the Manuals provided with the units there should be a drawing called the Piping Symbols Drawing (it's often in the tab labeled 'Piping Schematics' or 'P&IDs') and it describes the different symbols used on the P&IDs. (GE-design heavy duty gas turbine P&IDs are about the easiest to follow and understand of any I have ever seen.)

I don't think you're going to find a specification for the strainer as, again, it's really just a basket that catches large debris before it gets into the torque converter. (The passages in the torque converter aren't that small and don't really require individual filtration. I can't recall if the torque converter suction is fed by the L.O. system, or if it draws directly from the L.O. reservoir, but the oil used in the torque converter, while it should be "clean," I don't believe requires anything more than a strainer for keeping large debris out of it to protect it.)

Hope this helps!

ahmed,

It seems I'm confused, also. I addressed my most recent reply to VJ, not ahmed.

Apologies! It was a hectic afternoon/evening here.