Synchronous Generator Whine

S

Stephen Hill

Looking for advice on how to reduce or eliminate intense whine of over 100 dB from our hydroelectric GE 375kva 2300v 225 rpm synchronous generator. Unit built circa 1922 did not originally whine until stator and rotor poles rewound in 1979. Sound occurs only when rotor poles are excited. Pitch rises with rpm and once unit is connected to the grid, the pitch remains constant. Sound is pure in 630Hz and 800 Hz 1/3 octave bands. Rewind of stator pending.

Please help.

Stephen Hill,

I don't generally recommend other World Wide Web forums, but for generator issues like this one have you tried the International Generator Technical Community's Generator sections, particularly the 'Hydrogenerator' and 'Hydrogenerator Vibration and Dynamics' sections?

The site requires membership, but it's free and there is no advertisement and I've never received unwanted emails or spam from the site (just like control.com!!!).

The URL for the main page is: http://www.generatortechnicalforum.org/ Again, I think you'll need to register (choose a login/user name and password, and provide an email), and then you click on 'Generators' on the left, then scroll down to the two sections listed above. I don't know which one would be best for this issue.

Best of luck! It would be great if you could let us know how you fare with your issue!