Today is...
Thursday, May 24, 2018
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
Wiring and programming your servos and I/O just got a lot easier...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Gas Turbine Axial Movement
Why Gas turbine does not move axially when such a high force in form of thermal energy is applied?

I know Gas turbine axial movement is restricted by the thrust bearing but is it the only thing which restricts its axial movement? I mean such a heavy machine with so much production of power by burning huge volume of fuel...and the machine does not move at all? I Mean HOW?

1 out of 1 members thought this post was helpful...

Yes, the thrust bearing does the work of holding the turbine, compressor, and generator from chewing itself apart. The thrust bearing assembly and shaft thrust collar are a significant assembly! If you ever get the opportunity to see one apart, take it. Obviously these pieces were, indeed, sized appropriately. GE 7FAs thrust bearing has both active and in-active thrust (thrusts in both directions.) When turning gear goes on, the shaft goes to the in-active end, and at baseload, fully active. The amount of movement is 'bump' tested during a major inspection (manually jacked from one end to the other)and the total float is measured (end to end travel.) I have seen between 15 and 22 mils of total float. This value is specified and the thrust pads are shimmed to be within a certain tolerance. Alarms and trips are based off of the total float measured. A few more mils beyond that, and the unit (thrust color and thrust pads) are metal on metal, and a few more would allow buckets and blades to clash. I'm not an expert, but have seen a few...Hope this helps.