GE Frame Machines

D

Denice Thomas

What does 'Frame' specify in GE Frame machines ? For eg. In a 'Frame VI' machine what does 'Frame'&'VI' imply?

This question was answered a couple of years ago. I would have liked to refer you to the previous post, but I couldn't find it.

The respondent said that the designers used electrical motor frame size as the basis for the designation.

I always think of a "frame" gas turbine as a heavy duty, cast metal combustion turbine and axial compressor. The numeral is indicative of power output rating. The power output increases with an increase in the value if the numeral.

Over the years, the power output of most of the machines has increased, sometimes greatly.

And, as marketing wags are known to do, they threw a big curve at the designations when the F-class units were introduced. Instead of having new designations for what we know as the 7F and 9F, they chose to use existing Frame designations so as not to imply these were "new" turbines. In other words, these are just "scaled up" versions of existing turbines. Which is mostly true.

But it really muddled the meanings/designations.

It's really kind of like an auto manufacturer choosing names for lines of cars.

Frame size was based on the diameter of the turbine. It is NOT expressed as a Roman Numeral. A frame 5 gas turbine is another name for a MS5001 or MS5002 gas turbine. The MS5001 is a single shaft gas turbine approximately 50 inches in diameter. The MS5002 is a 2-shaft gas turbine, also approximately 50 inches in diameter. The Frame 7 (MS7001) is about 70 inches in diameter.
The Frame 6 (MS6001) should be about 60 inches in diameter by this line of reasoning, but it is not quite that big - it was conceived as a Frame 5 with a 3rd turbine wheel but became more like a scaled down Frame 7.

The Roman Numerals are used to designate different generations of the SPEEDTRONIC control (current version is Mark VIe).

P
MS7241FA
MS- Model Series
7- stands for frame 7 (60 Hz application)
24- 24*10,000 Horse power
1- single shaft
FA- GE series