Today is...
Thursday, August 22, 2019
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
Wiring and programming your servos and I/O just got a lot easier...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
PLC Remote Connection
Info for remote connection to PLC

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on a remote connection from my laptop to local PLC network in the plant. There is currently an outside contractor that can connect to them via a VPN that is set up. I am looking to connect similarly but will not be using the VPN as I am in the plant and already connected to the plants WIFI network and hence don't have to worry about any firewall concerns. I could just plug into the ethernet switch that all the PLC's feed into but I want to be able to accomplish this wirelessly. Can anyone offer some input on how this could be accomplished? Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

By Jeremy Pollard on 13 July, 2018 - 7:34 pm

If you have a work station in the plant already I would suggest evaluating MobiKEY from Route1 .... easy peasey ... and totally secure ... like secure... have used it and fully endorse it.

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Caring Canuckian!
Crisis, necessity, change

Integrator, Educator, Consulting, Columnist - Control Design

Is your PLC Switch on the same network as your wifi AP? Your IT department might segment or segregate this traffic. They could open a route between the two to allow your machine to connect to the wifi and the route to 'see' the PLC network.

If the PLC Switch is a network island that connection might need to be made physically, running a cable, before they could make such a route available. Typically there is a FW that will prevent controls traffic from hitting the enterprise network and keeping enterprise services and internet from the manufacturing network.

-Mike