Are macbook pro used in automation industry ?

hi All

Might sound ridiculous but please bear with me.
I heard that apple computers can run windows virtual machines much faster that standard PCs and some people use it in automatin.
I would like to verify that claim:
  1. has anybody from this forum used macbook pro (what model was it) with windows machines?
  2. if yes how was performance of these machines - did it feel fast?
  3. are there any fundamental reasons agains macbooks when running Vms to be used in automation? if yes what are they?
Many thanks for any feedback in advance

Hey,

In the last eleven years, I came across only one person working in industrial automation using a MacBook Pro with VM running Windows 10. According to him, there was no difference in speed, but there were a lot of issues with Automation Software communicating with Hardware such as PLC and HMI.

I have used a VM running Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro for hobby programming projects and haven't noticed any speed difference.

thanks a lot for reply
bit suprised that running windows vm on mac makes more problems - any idea how can this problem happen as vm with bridged network should just communicate unless mac os still taps to the traffic and keeps blocking stuff. Please share your thoughts

I use a MacBook Pro since 2014. At the start I used a VM, however my Mac was getting older the VM was getting slower, so now I use Bootcamp and it works very well.

I’m planning to replace my Mac (mine is 2013), but one thing I can guarantee. Mac works very well in automation (my opinion)

I used a 2013 Macbook Pro while I was in school. I used to boot the computer into Windows and everything ran fine. My only complaint was the reduced hard disk space to run two operating systems plus any software I wanted in both systems.

I use a MacBook Pro since 2014. At the start I used a VM, however my Mac was getting older the VM was getting slower, so now I use Bootcamp and it works very well.

I’m planning to replace my Mac (mine is 2013), but one thing I can guarantee. Mac works very well in automation (my opinion)
Any idea how can apple use additional layer of boot camp and still run windows faster on Mac than on other laptop brands?

Boot camp provides a way to install / boot Windows on Intel-based Apple hardware. Windows runs essentially the same as on another hardware platform, OSX is not running, there are no additional layers / translation. Apple's newest hardware is not Intel-based and likely will not be able to run Windows directly.

Apple's newest hardware is not Intel-based and likely will not be able to run Windows directly.
Apple's latest MacBook Pro hardware runs an Apple M-series ARM processor. A friend has one and is able to run Windows 11 built for ARM in a Parallels VM.

Apple's newest hardware is not Intel-based and likely will not be able to run Windows directly.
Apple's latest MacBook Pro hardware runs an Apple M-series ARM processor. A friend has one and is able to run Windows 11 built for ARM in a Parallels VM.
so it runs ARM version of windows? never heard of that - i guess it will not work with automation very well