How do you create an alarm in Cimplicity?

In the workbench, on left side toolbox there is "Alarms" rubric. There you can create new alarm and assign to existing tag. Or on a point configuration alarm tab

@alext,

Yes, it's possible to create an alarm in CIMPLICITY/PROFICY Machine Edition. BUT, I don't think alarms created in CIMPLICITY/PROFICY Machine Edition will appear in WorkstationST Alarm Viewer.

A lot of the questions asked here on Control.com are not very specific and one has to "read into" the question and/or ask a lot of questions (which the original posters often seem to bothered to respond to) in order to get at precisely what they are asking or trying to describe. The original poster's mention of 'CIMPLICITY/Toolbox' implies a GE turbine control system which uses CIMPLICITY/PROFICY Machine Edition for the graphical operator interface on a GE Mark* HMI. Additionally, GE produced a product called Toolbox, and now a product called ToolboST (the ST stands for Slow Technology ;-) ). So, I read it as asking how to create an alarm in Toolbox (or ToolboxST) to be displayed in the HMI Alarm Display (and if a machine uses ToolboxST it will also use WorkstationST Alarm Viewer for process, diagnostic and system alarms).

Also, @nikidi.control has posted in the past about GE heavy duty gas turbine control systems and issues, and in that application GE does some very unusual things with CIMPLICITY/PROFICY Machine Edition, because all they really want to use it for is the graphical operator interface, and not any of the other available options in the packages. Also, the alarm viewers that GE creates for their Mark* turbine control system HMIs are independent of CIMPLICITY/PROFICY Machine Edition, even though they seem to be a part of CIMPLICITY/PROFICY Machine Edition--they aren't. They are background applications and "plug-ins" if you will.

BUT, it's likely we'll never know precisely what the original poster intended. You may be correct, and it may indeed be possible to (somehow) get CIMPLICITY/PROFICY Machine Edition-generated alarms into GE's alarm viewer app/plug-in. But, in GE's Mark* HMI system if there are multiple HMIs/turbines at a site, it would have to be done on every HMI. LOTS of potential problems with that, too.

And, again, there are a LOT of questions to be answered before anyone could even try to describe the steps to try AFTER MAKING A FULL BACK-UP OF THE HMI HARD DRIVE (because it's VERY easy to screw up when there's no procedure from the OEM).

In the workbench, on left side toolbox there is "Alarms" rubric. There you can create new alarm and assign to existing tag. Or on a point configuration alarm tab
Hello @alext ,thanks for the reply.Unfortunately as @WTF? said I was looking to configure alarms that appear at WorkstationST Alarm Viewer,for which I have not even found the documentation yet

You may refer to GEI-100626 & GEI-100620. As @WTF said its all driven by the application logic running inside the controller.
Every variable has multiple attributes associated with it in its signal space.
In that 1 of its attribute is Alarm. If you enable it, followed by build and download you should get the alarm in Alarm viewer when ever the trigger conditions are met.

NOTE: The above information is provided for system understanding purpose only !
Its very easy to mess up the system, no plant operator will allow you to make such modifications, since it may void warranty.
Its better to ask the OEM to support.

@Swami @WTF? @alext so finally I understood how to do it,basically you configure an alarm on ToolboxST,so you click on a variable and there you enable it,om the left,by choosing the type of that alarm and after that of course,you have to put the variable through the EGD and afterwards you can see it on Alarm Viewer

You may refer to GEI-100626 & GEI-100620. As @WTF said its all driven by the application logic running inside the controller.
Every variable has multiple attributes associated with it in its signal space.
In that 1 of its attribute is Alarm. If you enable it, followed by build and download you should get the alarm in Alarm viewer when ever the trigger conditions are met.

NOTE: The above information is provided for system understanding purpose only !
Its very easy to mess up the system, no plant operator will allow you to make such modifications, since it may void warranty.
Its better to ask the OEM to support.
by having learned how to do it I see that your response was on point!

Most people don't realize it but there is at least one folder on GE Mark* HMIs that has a plethora of GEHs, GEIs and what were called GEHTs (How-To's).

Unfortunately, the file name is only GEI-100626.pdf, for example, which means NOTHING to most of us. I STRONGLY recommend copying that folder to another location on the hard drive (or a USB flash drive) and then, when you have some spare time that will be very well-used, open each file and make a note of the name of the GE publication, and then re-name the file to include the name of the publication. There will be LOTS of files that don't apply (for GE wind products and drive controllers, for example), and in this new folder/location you can just delete those files.

I PROMISE you will be amazed at what you see and find. There is, honestly, too much to read every document you find of interest--but you will find some that will be at the top of your "Go-Back-and-Read-Later list.

All of this documentation is very good, BUT, remember: There is still no document (or documents) that describe how the turbine operates and how the Mark* is configured and programmed to do that. A couple of the MOST VALUABLE documents are for Trender (Trend Recorder) and DDR (Dynamic Data Recorder)--both extremely useful when troubleshooting issues with turbine and auxiliary operation. AND USING EITHER OF THEM (Trender (Trend Recorder) or DDR) WILL NOT CAUSE THE TURBINE TO TRIP! (Something you might be monitoring can cause a turbine to trip while you're monitoring it with Trender (Trend Recorder) or DDR--and that can be helpful in analyzing the problem--but simply including it in Trender (Trend Recorder) and/or DDR WILL NOT cause the signal to result in a turbine trip.

Learning to use these free!!! tools (Trender (Trend Recorder) and DDR) doesn't take much time and can make understanding and troubleshooting operation and problems very simple (because you will have data, actual real data, instead of all the (un)educated guesses many people make when discussing turbine/auxiliary operations and problems).

Practice using both of these tools during a normal start-up and a normal shutdown--it's very often extremely useful to have data from good start-ups or shutdowns when troubleshooting problems with start-ups and shutdowns. It costs nothing--but your time to read and become familiar with these two invaluable tools (Trender (Trend Recorder) and DDR) and if you're looking for a job AND you can show/demostrate you know how to use these tools (especially if your use of the tools helped solve a problem or problems) will make you more valuable asset to the company you are making application to.

Again, many thanks to @Swami and @nikidi.control for pointing out useful GE publications!!!

@WTF!
I would like to introduce you to one of my all-time favorite windows toys (Utilities) called "everything" from Void Tools by David Carpenter. You may download it form here: https://www.voidtools.com I have been using it for last 2 decades. It’s the super fastest unindexed file search tool. It directly queries from the NTFS File systems USN Journal. So, it doesn’t read inside the files, but it read the file names with wild card chars supported.

So, for this case I have used the search key as “WorkstationST Alarm Server” has pointed me towards GEI-100626. Please do give it a try, hope you will love it!

By the way, while using Trender be careful not to force any live value. One of my co-worker accidentally double clicked on a live value & followed by a house fly (Flying insect) landed on "force" button on the newly installed fancy large touch screen monitor created a mess. After that incident our management removed the touch screen monitors.

Most people don't realize it but there is at least one folder on GE Mark* HMIs that has a plethora of GEHs, GEIs and what were called GEHTs (How-To's).

Unfortunately, the file name is only GEI-100626.pdf, for example, which means NOTHING to most of us. I STRONGLY recommend copying that folder to another location on the hard drive (or a USB flash drive) and then, when you have some spare time that will be very well-used, open each file and make a note of the name of the GE publication, and then re-name the file to include the name of the publication. There will be LOTS of files that don't apply (for GE wind products and drive controllers, for example), and in this new folder/location you can just delete those files.

I PROMISE you will be amazed at what you see and find. There is, honestly, too much to read every document you find of interest--but you will find some that will be at the top of your "Go-Back-and-Read-Later list.

All of this documentation is very good, BUT, remember: There is still no document (or documents) that describe how the turbine operates and how the Mark* is configured and programmed to do that. A couple of the MOST VALUABLE documents are for Trender (Trend Recorder) and DDR (Dynamic Data Recorder)--both extremely useful when troubleshooting issues with turbine and auxiliary operation. AND USING EITHER OF THEM (Trender (Trend Recorder) or DDR) WILL NOT CAUSE THE TURBINE TO TRIP! (Something you might be monitoring can cause a turbine to trip while you're monitoring it with Trender (Trend Recorder) or DDR--and that can be helpful in analyzing the problem--but simply including it in Trender (Trend Recorder) and/or DDR WILL NOT cause the signal to result in a turbine trip.

Learning to use these free!!! tools (Trender (Trend Recorder) and DDR) doesn't take much time and can make understanding and troubleshooting operation and problems very simple (because you will have data, actual real data, instead of all the (un)educated guesses many people make when discussing turbine/auxiliary operations and problems).

Practice using both of these tools during a normal start-up and a normal shutdown--it's very often extremely useful to have data from good start-ups or shutdowns when troubleshooting problems with start-ups and shutdowns. It costs nothing--but your time to read and become familiar with these two invaluable tools (Trender (Trend Recorder) and DDR) and if you're looking for a job AND you can show/demostrate you know how to use these tools (especially if your use of the tools helped solve a problem or problems) will make you more valuable asset to the company you are making application to.

Again, many thanks to @Swami and @nikidi.control for pointing out useful GE publications!!!
:)