Mark IV upgraded to Alstom T3000 control system

P

Prakash

We are in the process of upgrading our existing Mark IV control system. In the process of examining the different possiblities outside MARK Speedtronic family, we came across Alstom T3000. Need more information in this regard to support the selection.

1. Does anyone has any reference of upgrading a Mark IV system to Alstom T3000 Control system?

2. What are the other Control system available in market outside the MARK Speedtronic family?

3. Need link for more detailed explanation on Alstom T3000 Control System.

There are a number of companies wanting to retrofit your Frame 5 with a new control system other than GE.

Turbine Diagnostics (www.turbinedoctor.com)
Wood Group (www.woodgroup.com)
Innovative Control System (www.icsworldwide.com)
United Controls Group (www.unitedcontrolsgroup.com)
HPI (www.hpi-llc.com)
Woodward Governor (www.woodward.com)
PetroTech (www.petrotechinc.com)

I know there are also more in Europe but don't know their names.

Most of the companies above use a PLC (sometimes whatever PLC you would like them to use) as the basis for their control system. To get a PLC to work as a turbine control system usually takes several converters and adapters and lots of extra wiring. Also, programming the PLC requires some knowledge of how the GE-design heavy duty gas turbines operate, as well as how droop speed control works (we presume the unit drives a generator) and exhaust temperature control works, etc. So, why would you use a modified, adapted control system to control a 27,000 horsepower (approx. 20 MW) machine instead of a control system designed specifically for the machine and it's auxiliaries?

I haven't seen one yet, but I'm told that GE are now offering a system that installs inside the Mark IV panel and uses the Mark IV terminal boards. This is supposed to make the retrofit very quick and easy, and I can imagine it would. I don't know how much it costs, or if it could be used at your site (I think it's only for the TMR Mark IV systems), but it sounds like it might be worth investigating. I think they call it a Mark IVe or a Mark IVm (I think the 'm' is for 'migration').

But, I would like to ask you why you would use a control system other than a Speedtronic control system? Is it cost? Is it service? Is it the lack of service? Is it reliability? Is it documentation? Is it the lack of documentation?

A

Ansaldothomassen

Your reference to the T3000 system is probably the SPPA T3000 system made by Siemens. Hardware is based on S7 (PCS7) with a special software layer ECS. T3000 is at this moment Siemens plant controller. Price will be in line with MARK VIe though this Speedtronic version has no SIL (IEC 61508). The T3000 does have certified safety features.

But why not implementing a standard PLC concept with safety integration?

This author has already developed, programmed and commissioned a couple turbine controllers based on Siemens PCS7 technology which is a non-proprietary plant controller (frame 5/6/9) all running very well. The name: Thomassen TCS7. With no need to rewire or exchange of instruments (only 10 days turbine standstill). Of course experience with the Speedtronics and software is needed.

So if you are going for a non-OEM modernization be aware that your supplier was an OEM and now delevering to the market under the OSP concept.

(Original Service Provider)

To my knowledge, if you're going to use Siemens T3000 DCS system, you'll need to buy also SPPA-R3000 which is Siemens' solution for turbine control.

R3000 can be integrated in T3000, so it can be engineered and programmed in the same manner as other parts of the plant. R3000 is used mainly for steam turbines but can be also used for gas turbines.