Using a CNC controller to control a 6 DOF industrial robot

N

Najafabadi

Hi Everybody,

We have some old robots and we decided to change their controllers. We can still use the robot's manipulator. Refer to the interpolations required in teaching mode and running mode of a 6 DOF robot. I hope someone introduces me to a CNC manufacturer that has such programming capabilities that we can use for doing this project.

I separate this question from my previous question in the link below, because CNC systems are more common and I hope to find someone who have done similar projects.

http://www.control.com/thread/1026248317#1026248653

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Najafabadi

I'm not sure if this will apply to your application. But I know Giddings and Lewis builds CNC machines (if I remember right). They manufacture their own PICs and we use their PIC90s for servo control. They have a scan rate comparable to the newer A-B CLX. They program in a combo of ladder and function block. They are a cheaper chassis, reliable, and fast. Just a bit odd to program.

Again the Delta Tau Data Systems has NC capabilities and is a fairly common system for use as you describe. It is fairly cost effective, and if you are good at text-based languages it is very easy to learn and debug.