Controls Employment

T

Todd

Hi,

I couldn't find any forum that talked about the field of controls in regards to employment, etc. And apparently everyone is so hard working, no engineers post on Indeed.

I just had a general question. I'm a EE with a MSEE. But I ended up in software development.

I'm now in my 40s and wish I had taken the true engineering route.

I've worked in the auto industry but not in controls.

I have a local comm college that has an associates program in mechtronics. And a local university that has a masters in mechtronics. The latter is very expensive, $40-50K.

At age 45, would you suggest it's too late to pursue this career, with basically no experience?

What are job opportunities like? Is entry-level available?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know I can transition, but want to know if it's worth the time and money.

W
Wherever you are, try talking to a local system integrator. I don't think that you need a master's in mechatronics to work in the field. Heck, I've been doing it for years with a bachelor's in technical theater, specializing in mechatronics. I've done pretty well.

I used to write the "Advice to the Joblorn" column for Automation.com. I used to advise people to contact companies in the field they want to enter, and get a senior manager to agree to go to lunch for a discussion NOT A JOB REQUEST. This is relatively easy to do, actually. Then present yourself: I am looking at this field because I want to work in it. Here's what I've done, here's what I know. What sort of job should I be looking for, and do you know somebody else I might talk to who might need me?

Do that regularly for 30 days, and you'll have the job you want.

Walt

Walt Boyes, FInstMC, Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Life Fellow, International Society of Automation
Editor in Chief, Control and ControlGlobal.com
[email protected]

W

William Sturm

As you already have a EE, I would not suggest spending $$$ on an extra degree.  A class or two might be appropriate, PLC programming would be #1.  Also, you could buy a starter PLC and software, like a Micrologix, and start learning on your own.  Ideally, you should do both.  A basic course on industrial controls, including reading schematics and wiring diagrams might be useful also.  The only real way to learn this field is by practicing (and making some mistakes along the way, unfortunately)