Drop test

M

MIS

What is Drop Test term used at gas turbine of GE F9001E, if any one brief thanks in advance.

Hi,

Do you mean drop test, or droop test?

If you drop it and it breaks, then it has to be repaired.

If you test the droop and it droops it's okay as long as the droop doesn't exceed the droop setpoint, or doesn't under-exceed the setpoint. In other words, the droop should be equal to the droop setpoint and no more or no less.

Of course, the conditions of the droop test might not result in the unit achieving the droop setpoint because of ambient or machine conditions and that has to be factored into the results.

These technical terms can be so confusing, can't they?

I've always wondered what term the French language uses for droop speed control; they are so formal and droop isn't a formal term. I'm sure it's not drop, though. Someone once told me they use 'synchronism' for droop, but that doesn't sound correct, either.

What does GE Belfort say?

Oh, I almost forgot the the "other" drop test that's sometimes performed--the battery drop test. Which is to test the ability of the battery to produce a particular amount of current for a specified period of time under load, and the battery terminal voltage is monitored during the test. As the test progresses the battery voltage decreases, or drops, and the amount of the voltage drop over time is an indication of whether or not the battery will produce the desired current for the desired period.

There's one more drop test I've seen performed, and that's on the load coupling. When disconnected, the load coupling will deflect, or bend, or drop from the coupled position and the amount of deflection or the drop is an indication of the condition of the coupling, as also the amount of drop is important to understanding any vibration or to eliminating any vibration.

Words can be so misleading.

Perhaps if you could provide some context for the test you are trying to learn about we might be better able to help.

Hi,

If you mean "Drop Check", it is performed after installation of gas turbine on to its foundation.

Once the gas turbine and base assembly is placed on the foundation plates, a three point drop check is performed on the aft support legs in order to ensure their vertical position and any impact occurred during shipment and transport. It is important, because turbine aft support legs maintain the axial and vertical position of the gas turbine while in operation.

On some turbines particularly "hot end drive", aft support legs are cooled by water in order to minimize thermal expansion and keep the turbine casing aligned with the driven equipment.

I have experienced on one plant (Frame 6B) that poor cooling caused a massive misalignment between gas turbine and the load gearbox and the result was damaged GB I/B bearing.

Regards

first thanks to csa and toral to share u knowledge.

i agree to legs checks say drop check or test but how to perform this check? at my side turbine legs are cooled with cooling water (force circulation) and a desirable temperature is maintain.

best Regards

MIS,

Drop check is not a routine activity. It is a part of the field alignment after gas turbine installation to its foundation. Field alignment procedure is usually delivered to site by the gas turbine vendor.

Why do you need to conduct such check? What is the problem you encountered on gas turbine supports?

Regards